Leave the Church
Posted: 11 January 2011 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2011-01-11

I live in Ottawa and recently contacted the Arch Diocese (.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)) in an effort to remove my name from the Catholic books.  It has been surprisingly easy so far!  I sent an email basically outlining that, now 25,  I had been baptized and done my confirmation, but in the former I had no choice and the latter I was too immature to be making that kind of decision.  I got an email back a few days later requesting a copy of my birth certificate and they will send me a letter confirming my dissociation from the church.  I haven’t sent it in yet, but I’m encouraged so far with their willingness.

Anyone else make the transition?

Signature 

I’m atheist, not agnostic. To say that god is unknowable is to say that god is.

Posted: 12 January 2011 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-01-07

I have done the same recently.  I sent a letter to my local bishop instead of an email.  I also sent a copy of my baptismal certificate, and I received a letter in response in short time.  It basically says that they can’t “undo” a baptism or in your case, baptism and confirmation because it is a historical document but at the parish level, they strike you from the list of parishoners.  You also can never have a Catholic wedding.  Probably not a big loss for you though smile

Signature 

They tried to sell me holy books.  But I can see their eyes are wild.  I caught them pouring shame and fear into the perfect vessel of a child.

Posted: 19 February 2011 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2011-01-10

Hey guys -

I wasn’t aware you had to do anything like that - denounce the church and god? Or just the church. I never knew there was a process in order to leave the church - or request you be excluded.

Im just curious about this, maybe you could tell me what you have to do, and what happens after (you mentioned you couldn’t have a catholic wedding) are there any other services that you can no longer take part in?

Just curious, would like to know more smile

Signature 

“Gods don’t kill people. People with Gods kill people.”

– David Viaene

Posted: 07 March 2011 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2011-03-07

Not sure why you need to do this. Burning bridges doesn’t seem like a good way to move forward. Seems to me the fact that you are athiest and no longer beleive in delusions, doesn’t require you to actively ensure you are not assosiate to people who still beleive in them. The other issue I see with doing this, is having a problem entering in proper dialogue with someone from the church as they may now see you as hostile. How can we ever reason with someone who is on the defensive and wont listen.

but to each his own I guess.

Posted: 07 March 2011 07:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-01-07

Small Fries - You assume we’ve burned bridges when that isn’t necessarily the case.  I wrote a very polite letter to my local bishop, not demanding anything but asking to no longer be counted as one of their members. It is not required, but makes sense to me personally.  For me, allowing myself to be considered something I’m not is reprehensible.  Creating dialogue with someone from the Church would not be affected at all by doing this.  I simply asked to be recognized as an Atheist and that fact would need to be known before any sort of “proper dialogue” could begin.  You are seeing hostility where there is none. 

To answer MissMac:

I do not believe that there is an actual process.  It really depends on which Church you were/are a part of.  Some places like United don’t even keep a local roster.  If you were baptized Catholic I would recommend writing to your local bishop which you can look up online.  As for services, I won’t be able to take any of the sacraments.  Although, that being said I don’t think it would be enforced.  It isn’t like they take attendance or anything.  smile

Good luck!

Signature 

They tried to sell me holy books.  But I can see their eyes are wild.  I caught them pouring shame and fear into the perfect vessel of a child.