tchb (Mike)
Posted: 11 January 2011 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-01-11

I’ve been aware of the CFI for years.  Every so often I check in to see what is new.  This time I discovered the forums, so I had to sign up.  I like exchanging ideas.  Learning is important too.

Raised in a fundamentalist Baptist church.  At 12, I realized that I was gay, but didn’t even know what to call it.  But I heard over and over how bad gay people were, and that it was a choice.  I spent my teen years and my college days (at a “christian” college) trying to become straight.  As part of my “healing”, my first spouse and I were told that getting married would be an act of faith and bring about my conversion.  It didn’t.  Seven years and two children later, the marriage ended.  At 29 I entered the gay/secular/real world and what a surprise.  Everything I had learned was wrong.  Now I am concerned about what youth hear in fundy churches and their extended pulpits via right wing politicians.

I have a BA in French and Communications.  My first career was in broadcasting, “christian” broadcasting for the most part.  Then I hopped on the computer wave and rode desktop publishing and multimedia sales and support until that opened a door at a large university.  I so loved working with students.  A series of surgeries apparently was the trigger bringing on fibromyalgia.  About 10 years ago, my work ended and health issues swirled around me.  Now that life has settled down, I am more involved with life and people again.

I have an adult son, married, with a granddaughter.  I also have an adult daughter.  They all live near Buffalo, NY.  I live near other family members here in Florida.

Gardening, hiking, and artwork keep me busy along with too much time on line either chatting or exploring.  I want to figure out what to do with the children’s stories and poetry that I write. [Sales material removed. dougsmith—Admin]

[ Edited: 11 January 2011 04:28 PM by dougsmith ]

Posted: 11 January 2011 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

Hi Mike and welcome to the CFI Forum.

Unfortunately we’re pretty strict about not using the Forum as a route for sales, as that amounts to spam, which is against the rules. That’s particularly true with new members. For established members we are willing to allow a reasonable amount of self promotion for things that might be of interest to others on the site, but again, that’s really for people who are clearly here already for discussion rather than to use the place for marketing. (Nothing personal).

(Blue is the color the Mods and I use to distinguish official notices from regular posts. For more of the rules see HERE).

I do hope you’ll stick around and chat, since it sounds like you have plenty of interesting tales to tell and opinions to share.

Cheers,

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 11 January 2011 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02

Welcome, Mike.  Glad to have you here.  Please jump in and join the conversations.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 12 January 2011 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  582
Joined  2010-04-19

Welcome Mike. Good to have you!

Signature 

Don’t get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

- Bruce Lee -