2 of 2
Aren’t Catholics Being Arbitrary?
Posted: 22 August 2011 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

It’s not just Catholics. Every Protestant denomination—even those claiming to be “full gospel” must of necessity choose which parts of the Bible to enforce and which to ignore. They simply can’t enforce all parts of scripture because too many passages are contradictory.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 22 August 2011 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  582
Joined  2010-04-19
FreeInKy - 22 August 2011 11:18 AM

It’s not just Catholics. Every Protestant denomination—even those claiming to be “full gospel” must of necessity choose which parts of the Bible to enforce and which to ignore. They simply can’t enforce all parts of scripture because too many passages are contradictory.

Yeah, this right here. Trust me, I actually tried it too, and its just not possible. I spent the last 3 years of my Christian life bouncing back and forth from denomination to denomination. I started out as a hardcore Texan fundy, and by the end of it, I was as liberal as they come with my theology. One day, it finally clicked, “Why am I still here?” and I left…

One the best choices I’ve ever made in my entire life.

Signature 

Don’t get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

- Bruce Lee -

Posted: 23 August 2011 04:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
Cloak - 22 August 2011 11:38 AM

Yeah, this right here. Trust me, I actually tried it too, and its just not possible. I spent the last 3 years of my Christian life bouncing back and forth from denomination to denomination. I started out as a hardcore Texan fundy, and by the end of it, I was as liberal as they come with my theology. One day, it finally clicked, “Why am I still here?” and I left…

One the best choices I’ve ever made in my entire life.

Replace “Texan” with “Kentuckian” and that’s a pretty good summary of my experience as well, Cloak. The thing that really drove me bonkers in those last days was getting hammered on every side by Christians who accused me of “twisting scripture” to suit myself, when all I was trying to do was sincerely see what the Bible was really saying. Of course, what was really happening was I was realizing how self-invalidating much of the Bible really was. After a while, one is left with no alternatives but to draw arbitrary lines in the sand and refuse to budge, or abandon it altogether.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

2 of 2