Teaching critical thinking without mentioning religion
Posted: 15 January 2011 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  491
Joined  2008-02-25

Tonymaitland was talking about what we stand for, instead of what we are against.  I’m a big fan of the Hunting Humbug 101 podcasts (logical fallacy podcast).  I noticed that they barely even mention religion.  Their targets of attack are fallacious thinking.  Someone could listen to these podcasts, develop critical thinking skills, and not even realize what effect that it is going to have on their religion down the road.  If the podcast was cleaned up just a little bit to remove any mention of religion I would recommend them to anyone who needs better critical thinking skills but is also very religious.  It just amazes me how the podcast can almost completely bypass so much resistance that religiosity might cause by what it promotes instead of what it attacks.

Posted: 15 January 2011 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6173
Joined  2009-02-26

Just listened to the “false attribution” episode.
It struck me that false attributions are purposely employed by the publicity arms of the far right (i.e Fox, etc). Somewhere, sitting behind his desk,  Frank Luntz comes up with a “talking point”, which is then published somewhere else. After that all those propaganda spewers cite “newspaper reports”, “reliable sources”, “commonly known facts” which in reality do not exist at all. They are completely made up as political tactics to spread false information.

[ Edited: 15 January 2011 03:15 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 27 May 2011 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  143
Joined  2008-09-27
brightfut - 15 January 2011 01:55 PM

Tonymaitland was talking about what we stand for, instead of what we are against.  I’m a big fan of the Hunting Humbug 101 podcasts (logical fallacy podcast).  I noticed that they barely even mention religion.  Their targets of attack are fallacious thinking.  Someone could listen to these podcasts, develop critical thinking skills, and not even realize what effect that it is going to have on their religion down the road.  If the podcast was cleaned up just a little bit to remove any mention of religion I would recommend them to anyone who needs better critical thinking skills but is also very religious.  It just amazes me how the podcast can almost completely bypass so much resistance that religiosity might cause by what it promotes instead of what it attacks.

I’m very much in favor of this approach.  I need to get better at applying it to other areas, too.  Pick yer battles…