Hello
Posted: 18 January 2011 12:35 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  338
Joined  2011-01-17

Hello Everyone.

I’ve been an atheist for a very long time now. Years ago I was contemplating going to BC Humanist meetings, but they were quite far away and I never made it to one.

I have a BA in English Lit., and so have had quite an education in religious thought over the years. What is the study of Literature if not a study of religious thought?
I also have training in Patisserie and Artisan bread, which is neither here nor there, but people always seem to like bakers. Perhaps we smell like chocolate and apricot glaze.

I am a writer of various things. Some internet content, I’m working on a novel, and I blog about my daughter, who’s disabled. I guess I joined this site tonight because I made this entry http://learningjustb.blogspot.com/2011/01/medical-treatment-and-what-my-views-are.html tonight and I guess that in addition to discussion I am looking for input and bolstering. I am rather inundated with well intentioned but uninformed people. I do have rational people in my life, but I would like to feel like there’s more of an immediate community to interact with. My daughter’s health limits my ability to attend functions.

My partner is great. He’s very scientifically minded and studied Physics in university.

I am as involved as possible in social issues, and am currently very involved with my daughter’s school as well as other political activities.

My bf and I are planning to attend the “How To Pawn A Believer” event on the 22nd in Vancouver, so I hope to meet some of you soon.

Thank you,
C

Signature 

“You can tell me that it’s gospel but I know that it’s only church.”

Tom Waits

“I take a simple view of life. It is keep your eyes open and get on with it.”

Laurence Sterne

Posted: 18 January 2011 04:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Welcome to the CFI Forum, Bees Mom. You’re right to be concerned about getting good advice online, particularly on medical topics. There’s a lot of misinformation out there, and one has to be vigilant about the source of any info one finds, even here.

I hope you’ll stick around and chat.

Cheers,

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 18 January 2011 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

I guess that this forum attracts all types.  There are people here who claim various credentials, or none.  You’re the first English Lit. baker that I’ve seen.  Hello.  Does BC Humanist mean British Columbia?  I hope you and yours do well.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 18 January 2011 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2011-01-17

Hello,

BC does mean British Columbia. And thank you both very much.

C

Signature 

Tom Waits

Laurence Sterne

Posted: 18 January 2011 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-01-18

I am rather inundated with well intentioned but uninformed people.

I often find myself having the same problem. Particularly when discussing homeopathy, astrology or anything else people love to think is true (based on their anecdotes)

Therefore your reasons for coming here are the exactly same as mine - It’s a place for people with common interests to bolster, as you said, their information in solid data (which you can find here most of the time!)

Enjoy!

Signature 

I cannot persuade myself that a beneficent and omnipotent God would have designedly created parasitic wasps with the express intention of their feeding within the living bodies of Caterpillars.

- Charles Darwin

Posted: 18 January 2011 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26

Welcome Bees Mom,

Looking forward to your posts.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 18 January 2011 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  5176
Joined  2010-06-16

Welcome Bees Mom.  I’ve enjoyed your posts that I’ve just read.  However, as the resident wise-ass, I do have to ask a question.  Since you were an English Lit. major, shouldn’t it have been Bee’s Mom?  smile

I know I should have kept my mouth shut because you and the other erudite posters will probably be shredding the punctuation and grammar of my posts.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 18 January 2011 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14
Occam. - 18 January 2011 07:50 PM

Welcome Bees Mom.  I’ve enjoyed your posts that I’ve just read.  However, as the resident wise-ass, I do have to ask a question.  Since you were an English Lit. major, shouldn’t it have been Bee’s Mom?  smile

I know I should have kept my mouth shut because you and the other erudite posters will probably be shredding the punctuation and grammar of my posts.  LOL

It could also be Bees’ Mom if she’s the mom of some bees ...  smile

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 18 January 2011 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2011-01-17
Occam. - 18 January 2011 07:50 PM

Occam

It should! Well, actually, it should be B’s Mom, as in my blog, but the sign up form wouldn’t accept the apostrophe. After considering my options, I decided that BS Mom was not a good alternative. Not that I am above making up ridiculous stories to share with children, it’s really a hobby of mine, but I try to let the crazy out a bit at a time and I try not to telegraph it. smile

Signature 

Tom Waits

Laurence Sterne

Posted: 19 January 2011 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  5176
Joined  2010-06-16

I figured it was probably the program’s fault, but I couldn’t help kidding.  I also have the habit of responding with acronyms, for example, when I respond to Jump In The Pit, I call him JITP.  And, similar to your latter concern, I decided I’d have to spell out your screen name rather than just using the two initials.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 19 January 2011 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam. - 19 January 2011 06:16 PM

I figured it was probably the program’s fault, but I couldn’t help kidding.  I also have the habit of responding with acronyms, for example, when I respond to Jump In The Pit, I call him JITP.  And, similar to your latter concern, I decided I’d have to spell out your screen name rather than just using the two initials.  LOL

Occam

ROFLMAO!!!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 20 January 2011 12:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

Welcome Bees Mom.  Glad to have you here.  Please feel free to jump right in and join the conversations.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 20 January 2011 01:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2011-01-17

I figured it was probably the program’s fault, but I couldn’t help kidding… And, similar to your latter concern, I decided I’d have to spell out your screen name rather than just using the two initials.  LOL

Occam

smile I certainly can’t have everyone colon me that!

C

Signature 

Tom Waits

Laurence Sterne

Posted: 20 January 2011 03:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
Bees Mom - 20 January 2011 01:10 AM

I figured it was probably the program’s fault, but I couldn’t help kidding… And, similar to your latter concern, I decided I’d have to spell out your screen name rather than just using the two initials.  LOL

Occam

smile I certainly can’t have everyone colon me that!

C

LOL!! LOL

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

‹‹ Hello from Indianapolis!      Greetings ››