1 of 6
Precognition (Merged twice)
Posted: 27 January 2011 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2010-03-03

Does this experiment prove ESP?  Will the Dog be awarded the $1,000,000?  I have precognitive dreams several times per week.  I cannot prove it.  Also I have synchronistic happenings quite frequently.  He is an example:  I was Listening to Glenn Beck on the radio when he made a claim that the left is to be blamed for everything or something to this effect.  I imagined hitting him in the head with an imaginary baseball bat.  Immediately he had to leave the show.  Stu his side kick said that beck has a medical problem and he had to go see a doctor.  Later that day I was feeling fear from a group of people at a restaurant.  The cook came out and I felt I was going to be blamed for something like defying their idea of God. He was standing by a large framed portrait of a bear. I had stated that there is no proof for God.  I told them about my imaginary bat and Beck synchronistically leaving the air.  At that instant there was a loud noise in the kitchen and the cook rushed back to the kitchen.  My fear was immediately relieved.  This the second synchronistical event relating to my thoughts of an imaginary bat.  Some things are extraordinarily difficult to prove.  If Beck dies tomorrow could they prove I murdered him with thought?  I think not.  Well, back to the dog experiment then.  Here is a link.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvOzdqnTE2I&feature=related

Posted: 28 January 2011 07:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-03

Here is a follow up:  Last night I was shown the face of Beck in a dream and my feeling is I still want him dead.  I think it means he is choosing me as his God. Therefor Becks God wants him dead.  It means he has surrendered to something other than himself.  I think this is a mistake on his part.  I do not believe there are any Gods.  I do not think reality has a creator at all.  I am posting this as a long shot to see if it indicates some type of precognition from my dream.  Some things are extraordinarily difficult to prove.

Posted: 28 January 2011 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1064
Joined  2007-06-20

Skeptic’s Guide to the Universe covered the alleged psychic dog “experiment” in one of their podcasts.  Long story short: There are no psychic dogs and Randi’s money is as safe as it ever was.  Dogs have extremely good hearing and a sense of smell that can alert them to their human owners from a distance that our human hearing and smelling could never detect.  Their hearing and smelling, while far superior than ours, is not supernatural.

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 28 January 2011 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26
Rocinante - 28 January 2011 10:26 AM

Skeptic’s Guide to the Universe covered the alleged psychic dog “experiment” in one of their podcasts.  Long story short: There are no psychic dogs and Randi’s money is as safe as it ever was.  Dogs have extremely good hearing and a sense of smell that can alert them to their human owners from a distance that our human hearing and smelling could never detect.  Their hearing and smelling, while far superior than ours, is not supernatural.

Not only that, dogs also have a much keener sense of body language and a much faster reaction time than humans. Thus what appears to us as a precognition in dogs actually means humans are much slower in perception and reaction time than dogs and other animals.
Schools of fish is perfect example. It appears the school moves as one body, but they just have an incredibly fast reaction time, which appears to us as movement in unison.

[ Edited: 28 January 2011 02:50 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 28 January 2011 06:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-03

You make a straw man to attack or is it a straw dog?  You can’t make me wrong when you fail to speak to my position.  You fail to address the claims made.

Posted: 28 January 2011 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  4626
Joined  2007-10-05

Steven, they directly refuted your silly claims. Nothing supernatural here. Move along.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 28 January 2011 09:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-03

The dog was 10 miles away from the owner when it became aware of the return.  You can’t explain it.  Go ahead and try.  It is unexplainable.  We still cannot explain gravity yet either.  Maybe if we could things would get even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Posted: 29 January 2011 12:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
stevenlchilds - 28 January 2011 09:34 PM

The dog was 10 miles away from the owner when it became aware of the return.  You can’t explain it.  Go ahead and try.  It is unexplainable.  We still cannot explain gravity yet either.  Maybe if we could things would get even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Its called argument from ignorance, or argument from incredulity. e.g.: I can’t explain it, therefore….

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 29 January 2011 02:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-03

The ignorance is that he thinks there is an explanation.  They try to explain it away by distorting the original claim. This is called creating a straw man.  That which can’t be explained tends to become understood as an inquiry is made to explain it. My position is that there is no explanation for the dog knowing from 10 miles away that the master is returning.  That which they cannot explain they define as a silly claims.  There are many things that we cannot explain yet.  We can explain gravity effects with understanding the mechanism.  We can observe the universe with out understanding how it came from nothing.  We see evidence that it is quantum fluctuations of nothing at all.  My position is they are trying to create a straw man to attack.  They said dogs have better ears than humans. This has nothing whatsoever to do with the experiment.  My position is we are all ignorant as to the explanation of the dog knowing what we are doing from ten miles away.  Perhaps it has something to do with quantum entanglement.  Rupert Sheldrake’s idea is that there is a field that connects everything.  Quantum entanglement shows 2 separated “objects” instantaneously reflecting each other no matter how far the distance.  Have you ever had someone looking at you from behind and you turn around to see.  My position here is that we cannot explain this either.  Maybe someday these real events will be explained more completely. For now we can only say it is the paranormal.  I am not ignorant of the paranormal.  I am not in denial from bias.  I am not closed minded.  My position is the skeptics are.  The evidence for this claim in the previous discourse.  So far they have not addressed the original claim.  I can only speculate as to why.  I dreamed of a bug under my thumb. It has a hurt right wing.  My impression is that the bug is Doug.  I wonder if he has a hurt right arm?  Thought can be very powerful perhaps.  Thought is something unexplainable.  Would you care to refute this?  You can’t.  You can try.  As to the effect of my thoughts on Glenn Beck I make no claims. I only share my experience with you.  I would like to know if my imaginary bat thoughts have an effect on others.  What is the truth behind the movie about the military trying to kill Goats with thoughts?  What is the truth to psychic warfare? This forum is called Center For Inquiry?  LOL It should be called Center For Denial.  Are we having Fun Yet?  If we are not doing any good what good are we?

[ Edited: 29 January 2011 02:52 AM by stevenlchilds ]

Posted: 29 January 2011 03:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-03

My impression of Center For Inquiry is that it is not interested in an inquiry into what is true at all.  It is more like an inquisition.  I do not not have a problem with Center For Inquiry.  I think it is good practice to deal with On line Bullying.  There are many examples here.  Do you have a problem with me?  If you have a problem with Center For Inquiry contact me.  I would like to know about it.

Posted: 29 January 2011 03:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

I am sorry you feel that way. Inquiry means just that. It means questioning. It does not mean taking something at face value that does not fit within the parameters of what we know about science. It is about learning. Not about opening your skull to let your brains fall out. If you’d started a thread on homeopathy, and told us it cured you of X, we would ask that you look at other possibilities, which is what we would like you to do with your ‘psychic’ dogs.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 29 January 2011 03:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

It would appear from your post that you have a poor understanding of even elementary science. I would suggest you pick up an basic science book and educate yourself. Better yet, take a class.
As for the ‘psychic’ dog, you yourself have said you have no proof. No proof, no million dollars.

Signature 

Posted: 29 January 2011 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  4626
Joined  2007-10-05

So, telling you we do not believe things you say but cannot prove is bullying? Refuting your unproven claims with facts is bullying? That is a very strange definition of bullying.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 29 January 2011 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-03

Who are you?  I don’t have any dogs or pets or even house plants.  No one has responded to the claim that the dog is ten miles away when it moves to “wait”.  If no one does I win by default.

Posted: 29 January 2011 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-03

Daron, Disagreeing with me is your choice.  I win the argument because no one has responded yet to my claim.  LOL Daron you said I made silly claims.  Daron you are a bully because of your rude manner.  Can you support your claim that I made a silly claim?  I am saying you can’t.  You can try to prove your invalid position.  Good luck Mr. bully LOL I expect you will create a straw man.  Who are you?

Posted: 29 January 2011 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  1064
Joined  2007-06-20
stevenlchilds - 28 January 2011 09:34 PM

The dog was 10 miles away from the owner when it became aware of the return. 

10 miles!  You call that a hit!  I call that a miss!  If I were off by 10 miles on something I’d admit to being lost!  grin

It must be nice to be able to claim a hit when the owner is anywhere from 10 feet to 10 miles away!  I guess ‘close’ now counts in horseshoes, hand grenades and “psychic” dog research! grin

The simple fact of the matter is that Sheldrake’s experiment cannot be replicated.  Richard Wiseman tried.  And replication is a key aspect of science.  If you want to claim something has been proven scientifically you have to play by the rules of science.  No picking and choosing, which it appears what Sheldrake did with the dog, owing to the fact that he even admits that over time the dog kept going to the window more and more over time. So it was just subjective bias on his part to claim a hit when the dog went to the window when the owner was coming home and ignore the all the times the dog went to the window when the owner wasn’t coming home.

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

1 of 6