2 of 6
Precognition (Merged twice)
Posted: 29 January 2011 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2010-03-03

This web site claims to be about humanistic values.  Making intentionally false derogatory and belittling statements about a person claims is not what secular humanism is about.  I see this type of bullying at this Forum often.  We may want to shut it down if this is not resolved.  My source for this information is from unseen beings that have the ability to inform me.  I have no intention of proving they are real.  I feel they are capable of revealing themselves to you without my help.

Posted: 29 January 2011 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  66
Joined  2011-01-01

A few of my observations about pets:

Why not train either/and/or parrots, dogs, pigs, or monkeys to give us fore warnings of impending earthquakes?

I guess the muslim religion hates dogs,,, send in those insanely cheerful little breeds and let the mind expanding begin.. I have a little Jack Russell that every other 10 minutes are the happiest 10 minutes of it’s life.. It’s hard to be a grouch around such a dog.

If you want to get someone to cry,,, start talking about pets.

A young child that grows up in a house with cat will be much less alergy prone.

A cat can be something of a allegory for civilization;  It sleeps 20 hours a day,, but what would you have it do?? Kill songbirds 20 hours a day? We live in a world that needs to accomodate high unemployment,, we don’t want rampant consumerism.. We build machines to do our worst jobs (weaveing, excavateing, etc) but then we punish the people whose jobs are lost. Aren’t we striving for a “Utopia” in which very few have to work?

Posted: 29 January 2011 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1777
Joined  2007-10-22

Post deleted

[ Edited: 29 January 2011 10:04 AM by garythehuman ]
 Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 29 January 2011 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  7613
Joined  2007-03-02
tirebiter4659 - 29 January 2011 09:43 AM

A cat can be something of a allegory for civilization;  It sleeps 20 hours a day,, but what would you have it do??

Kill mice.  I had a couple really good mousers until they died.  Now, I have one who sees a mouse and plops it under the dripping water in the bathtub.  The mouse tries to get out and Shiva says, “Get back under there!”  While the mouse is going, “Please, Ms Cat, let me go.  I promise I’ll leave and not come back.”  She continues to waterboard the mouse until s/he dies of drowning or a heart attack.

BTW, I literally did see the little mouse put his/her little “hands” together as though begging and pleading with Shiva.  It was rather cute, but unfortunately I didn’t and don’t know how to make Shiva stop torturing the occasional mouse that wanders into the house to death.  The other two cats, Amber and Scarlette, were more humane.  I don’t know where Shiva gets this…  Oh yeah.  She heard about the Shrub and his torture devices.  LOL  Seriously though, Shiva is a terrible bully herself sometimes and she’s a cat.

[ Edited: 29 January 2011 09:58 AM by Mriana ]
 Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 29 January 2011 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-03

I am waiting for someone to finally respond to my claim about dogs ESP.

Posted: 29 January 2011 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
stevenlchilds - 29 January 2011 09:56 AM

I am waiting for someone to finally respond to my claim about dogs ESP.

I say cats have ESP.  Do you know how to test it to find out if it is a true statement?

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 29 January 2011 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-03

I am waiting for someone to finally respond to my claim about the dogs ESP.  I am not responding to anything else.

Posted: 29 January 2011 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  1777
Joined  2007-10-22
stevenlchilds - 29 January 2011 09:35 AM

This web site claims to be about humanistic values.  Making intentionally false derogatory and belittling statements about a person claims is not what secular humanism is about.  I see this type of bullying at this Forum often.  We may want to shut it down if this is not resolved.  My source for this information is from unseen beings that have the ability to inform me.  I have no intention of proving they are real.  I feel they are capable of revealing themselves to you without my help.

If you are on drugs, get off of them and you can control your imagination.  If you are presenting argument and need the authority of imaginary friends to make your points, that is one of the world’s oldest huckster tricks.  If your arguments are not subject to independent verification based on facts your arguments are not acceptable here.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 29 January 2011 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  1071
Joined  2007-06-20

The dog does not have ESP.  There, I responded to your claim.

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 29 January 2011 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

I think I would have an easier time proving that my cat heard about the Shrub’s water boarding techniques and started using it on mice.  The fact is, there is no way to prove ESP in any species.  It’s not worth getting upset and starting another thread about online bullying that is still related to this thread in some manner.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 29 January 2011 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-03

I have heard a response that the dog does not have ESP and the response did not use a straw man tactic.  Thanks to Rocinante.  Your the only one who made an honest response to my claim.  Ok then… here is a link to say that the dog does have ESP.  It will also talk about crop circles and hoaxes of much simpler crop circles than the ones being created overnight these days.  It was Sheldrake and others who made the contest.  http://www.sheldrake.org/homepage.html  Enjoy.  Someone has insinuated that an open mind may result in brains falling out.  Oh really?  If you have bias or filters to reject truth it is not your fault perhaps.  Truth is simple; inquire.  Here is a related link on “open mind”  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T69TOuqaqXI&feature=channel

Posted: 29 January 2011 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15433
Joined  2006-02-14

This site is about skeptical inquiry as much as anything. And making reasoned refutations of absurd claims is one of the central parts of any kind of intelligent scientific skeptical position. What you are doing is making extraordinary claims with virtually no evidence behind them. Yet as we should all know here, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence before we accept them as reasonable.

People have been making claims about ESP for years, and they have all been disproven when looked at carefully, i.e. in scientifically controlled conditions. Further, all we know about physics, chemistry, biology and the workings of the brain leaves no theoretical methods of action for ESP. It appears simply a fiction of overactive imaginations. Anecdotes about a dog do not even begin to come up to the level of evidence required, and it’s frankly silly to think that they would.

Further, you already have one thread on this stuff here on the forum. THIS thread isn’t about ESP, it’s about claimed bullying, which I haven’t yet seen. All I’ve seen is overblown claims on your part, and then attempts at special pleading when people pointed out that they were foolish.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 29 January 2011 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15433
Joined  2006-02-14

My source for this information is from unseen beings that have the ability to inform me.

Honestly, if you are getting information from “unseen beings”, you should go see your doctor and make an appointment with a mental health professional. This is beyond the purview of our forum.

If, OTOH, you want to discuss rational arguments for belief, then you should know that uncorroborated and uncorroboratable “information” given to you privately by leprechauns and spooks are of no evidentiary merit. True evidence must be intersubjective, by definition. We must be able to verify that evidence, and ideally others should be able to confirm it by redoing the relevant experiments.

(Not that the chatterings of fairies are really “experiments”, but you get the idea).

NB: I’ve decided to merge the two threads for ease of discussion.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 29 January 2011 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  6159
Joined  2009-02-26

stevenlchilds

If you have bias or filters to reject truth it is not your fault perhaps.  Truth is simple; inquire.  Here is a related link on “open mind

Sorry, bias and filters are in place to reject “speculation” and “falsehood”. Truth only becomes simple with “proof”.

Steven, as a long time dogowner myself (poodles, bordercollie, shepherds, yellow lab.) and having had a family type relationship with all of them, I can attest to the wonderful assets these breeds possess. This was during a time when I was really interested in “psychic phenomena”, including my dogs waiting for me @ 5:15 pm (my ususual time to come home) at the entrance of our property. Apparently they had a great sense of time and experience taught them that I would show up around that time and they waited for me (animals are extremely time conscious and are quite capable of remembering repeated events).
I used to take my dogs for walks after dinner and as soon as I reached for my shoes, the dogs would go crazy with anticipation of a nice run and swim along the river. Unfortunately I did not always put on my shoes to take them for a walk but to work in the yard. Yet the dogs incorrectly thought I was going to take them out.
Consider this, bats can hear sonar (not psychic), whales can communicate over 100s miles in the ocean (again nothing psychic), elephants can communicate over long distances (nothing psychic), insects know when the weather is going to change hours ahead of the event (not psychic). Most higher animals possess natural abilities beyond the abilities of humans, but psychic ability is not one of them.
You see, when someone claims that “their” dog has natural special (psychic) abilities, why is it that from the millions and millions of dog owners, there is only an occasional report of an apparent “psychic” experience with the dog. Why so few?? If this was an inherent trait in dogs, such an ability would be well established by now. But, similar to any human claiming to have psychic abilities, a healthy dose of skepticism is called for. However I do believe humans can visualize the future and work to make it come true.
A little video of a dog and a cat moving about or laying in their favorite spot is not sufficient proof to make a claim, or even to get upset when such a claim is skeptically received.

[ Edited: 29 January 2011 01:45 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 29 January 2011 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
stevenlchilds - 29 January 2011 09:14 AM

Who are you?  I don’t have any dogs or pets or even house plants.  No one has responded to the claim that the dog is ten miles away when it moves to “wait”.  If no one does I win by default.

Now, that is a crazy claim. You have presented no proof, yet you claim a win for an extremely extraordinary claim. Well, I have a bridge to sell you!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

2 of 6