3 of 5
Blame the Riots in Egypt on Twitter?
Posted: 31 January 2011 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1071
Joined  2007-06-20
Write4U - 31 January 2011 06:01 AM

Reference?

Seriously?  You don’t know?  That is an indictment on how little you know about the man. 

The President of the United States, the man we are supposed to believe is so worldly and wise actually thought “Austrian” was a language.

Even if Obame misspoke, what do you find idiotic about him? His lack of schooling?

Obama went to Harvard.  Bush went to Yale.  If you accept the former is intelligent just because he went to school you must accept the latter is intelligent for the same reason. 

His lack of compassion?

My dog has compassion.  Compassion =/= intelligence.

His calm and reasoned demeanor.

Obama: “They Bring a Knife…We Bring a Gun”
Obama: “Get in Their Faces!”
Obama: “I don’t want to quell anger. I think people are right to be angry! I’m angry!”
Obama: “Hit Back Twice As Hard”
Obama: “We talk to these folks… so I know whose ass to kick.“
Obama: Republican victory would mean “hand to hand combat”
Obama: “It’s time to Fight for it.”
Obama: “Punish your enemies.”
Obama: “I’m itching for a fight.” 

Where do you find indications of an “idiot”?

Puffing on cancer sticks counts as idiotic in my book. 

What about Obama’s calling a Corpsman a “Corpse Man” at the National Prayer Breakfast.  The man is the freaking Commander in Chief for crying out loud! 

Obama says he has been to 57 U.S. states.

Obama, while in South Dakota, called Sioux Falls ‘Sioux City’ and then said, “I’ve been in Iowa for too long.”

Obama, while in Florida said, “How’s it going, Sunshine? Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you everybody. It’s good to be in Sunshine!”

Obama gets confused between Iran and Iraq. Obama has also confused Iraq for Afghanistan. 

Obama said his uncle “…was part of the first American troops to go into Auschwitz and liberate the concentration camps.”
Soviet troops liberated Auschwitz. 

Obama said, “We only have a certain number of . . . [Arabic language translators], and if they are all in Iraq, then it’s harder for us to use them in Afghanistan.”
The man who made ending these wars one of his main running points doesn’t know Afghanis speak Pashto, Farsi, or other non-Arabic languages.

Obama said, “I trust the American people to understand that it is not weakness, but wisdom to talk . . . to our enemies, like Roosevelt did, and Kennedy did, and Truman did.”
FDR did not talk directly with any enemy axis powers before the outbreak of hostilities, and his policy once war began was their unconditional surrender. 
Truman kept FDR’s policy for WWII.
Truman did not meet unconditionally with Kim Il Sung.  Truman sent troops.
Kennedy said of his meeting with Kruschev, “He beat the hell out of me.” The Berlin Wall started being built 2 months later.  The Cuban Missile Crisis soon followed.  New York Times columnist James Resto said, “Khrushchev decided he was dealing with an inexperienced young leader who could be intimidated and blackmailed.”

Obama said, “There was something stirring across the country because of what happened in Selma, Ala., because some folks are willing to march across a bridge. So they got together and Barack Obama Jr. was born.”
Obama was born in 1961. The Selma March took place in 1965.

Obama said, “I’m not familiar with the Hanford, uuuuhh, site, so I don’t know exactly what’s going on there.”
Obama had already voted on a defense-authorization bill that addressed the “costs, schedules, and technical issues” dealing with the Hanford site, the nation’s most contaminated nuclear-waste site.

Obama said, “On this Memorial Day, as our nation honors its unbroken line of fallen heroes—and I see many of them in the audience here today—our sense of patriotism is particularly strong.”[Emphasis added.]

Obama said, “Since the Bush Administration launched a misguided war in Iraq, its policy in the Americas has been negligent toward our friends, ineffective with our adversaries. . .No wonder, then, that demagogues like Hugo Chávez have stepped into this vacuum. 
Chávez was first elected president in 1998, and reelected in 2000, both occurring while Bill Clinton was serving his second term as President.

On CBS’s Face the Nation, then Sen. Barack Obama, in Afghanistan, told the paparazzi-pursued correspondent Lara Logan that “the objective of this trip was to have substantive discussions with people like President Karzai or Prime Minister Maliki or President Sarkozy or others who I expect to be dealing with over the next eight to 10 years.” [Read the Constitution to know why this is stupid.]

Obama said tornadoes in Kansas killed 10,000 people saying, “In case you missed it, this week, there was a tragedy in Kansas. Ten thousand people died — an entire town destroyed.”
12 people died in the tornadoes.

Obama said, “…more young black men languish in prison than attend colleges and universities.”
There are more than twice as many black men ages 18 to 24 in college as there are in jail.

Obama told Larry King on CNN, “We don’t have the technical capacity to create something like that,” referring to an anti-Hillary YouTube doctored ad based on the classic Apple Macintosh “1984” ad.
Who the hell did it then?  Aliens? 

While visiting Mount Rushmore Senator Obama, asked about the chase scene in Hitchcock’s North by Northwest asking, “How did they get up there in the first place?” he asked ranger Wesley Jensen.
Movies are just pretend.  Jensen said of the movie with 1950s special effect, “They didn’t.  It was a movie set.” 

Obama said, “We’ve seen just a skyrocketing autism rate. Some people are suspicious that it’s connected to the vaccines…The science right now is inconclusive, but we have to research it.”
The science is conclusive.  Nineteen scientific studies have all refuted any causal connection between vaccines and autism.
Obama said he wants to meet with Venezuelan dictator Hugo Chávez to discuss Chávez’s support of Marxist FARC terrorists in Colombia. 
Obama insisted (the very next day) any country supporting FARC terrorists should suffer “regional isolation.”

Obama said, “[Iran doesn’t] pose a serious threat to us.”
Obama said (the very next day), “I’ve made it clear for years that the threat from Iran is grave.”

Obama called for the UN to pass a Resolution condemning Russia.
Russia has UNSC Veto Power.

Obama tried to walk through a window of the house he lives in.

Obama called Ottawa, “Iowa.”

Obama said, “What you’re now seeing is, profit and earning ratios are starting to get to the point where buying stocks is a potentially good deal if you’ve got a long term perspective on it,”
“P/E Ratio” means “price-to-earnings ratio,” not “profit and earnings ratio.” There is a difference.

In one of his many diplomatic blunders, Obama gave UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown a chinsey gift of a couple dozen U.S. movies on DVD.
Besides being a diplomatic no-no, U.S. coded DVDs don’t play in British DVD players.
Pointing out his own Secretary of Defense, Obama said, “William Gates.”
His name is Robert Gates.

At a burger joint Obama said to a government worker, “So explain to me exactly what this National Geospatial…uh,”
“We work with, uh, satellite imagery,” the worker replied.
The National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) is a Department of Defense combat support agency and a member of the national Intelligence Community (IC).  Apparently Obama, the Commander-in-Chief, never heard of it.

Obama said, “And one of the points I want to make is, is that if you actually took the number of Muslims Americans, we’d be one of the largest Muslim countries in the world.”
Using the highest possible estimate of 8 million Muslims in the U.S., even then it would barely put the U.S. in the top 40 of Muslim nations.

In 2009, Obama wrote to Jacques Chirac, former French president, “I am certain that we will be able to work together, in the coming four years, in a spirit of peace and friendship to build a safer world.”
As of 2007 Nicolas Sarkozy became the president of France. 

Thought Experiment Time.  Had Bush made up a non-existent language or done any of the above, would you call him “stupid” or just come up with some special pleading excuses?

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 31 January 2011 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  4863
Joined  2007-10-05

How many times are you going to copy and paste the same material, Rocinante?

See 3.h) here.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 31 January 2011 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  338
Joined  2011-01-17
Rocinante - 31 January 2011 10:38 AM

Reference?

Seriously?  You don’t know?  That is an indictment on how little you know about the man. 

The President of the United States, the man we are supposed to believe is so worldly and wise actually thought “Austrian” was a language.

Austrian IS a language. Yes, it is German, but it is considered Austrian German. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austrian_German
The German language has many dialects, all considered a regional variant. Swiss German is also different. Perhaps a confusion has been made with Australian?

If he was in Germany, he’d say, “I don’t know what the term is in German.”
If he was in Switzerland, he’d say, ““I don’t know what the term is in Swiss.” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_German

Further, there are dialects of High and Low German.

Signature 

“You can tell me that it’s gospel but I know that it’s only church.”

Tom Waits

“I take a simple view of life. It is keep your eyes open and get on with it.”

Laurence Sterne

Posted: 31 January 2011 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Bees Mom - 31 January 2011 11:15 AM

Austrian IS a language. Yes, it is German, but it is considered Austrian German.

Reminds me of my last stay in Vienna, when my friend, who is German, tried ordering two coffees with milk for us, only to find out the waitress had no idea what he wanted. I had to step in and ask for it in English.

Posted: 31 January 2011 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Joined  2011-01-17
George - 31 January 2011 11:30 AM
Bees Mom - 31 January 2011 11:15 AM

Austrian IS a language. Yes, it is German, but it is considered Austrian German.

Reminds me of my last stay in Vienna, when my friend, who is German, tried ordering two coffees with milk for us, only to find out the waitress had no idea what he wanted. I had to step in and ask for it in English.

I studied German for two years in University. It’s a very interesting language. I am not surprised your friend had that trouble. I have atrocious pronunciation. I’m sure no German could understand me.

Signature 

Tom Waits

Laurence Sterne

Posted: 31 January 2011 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

It is also possible that Obama simply misspoke, which I imagine in situations like these is quite understandable. I mean, understandable to most people, expect for Rocinante who holds a PhD in Googleology and knows what he is talking about.

Posted: 31 January 2011 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2011-01-17
George - 31 January 2011 11:53 AM

It is also possible that Obama simply misspoke, which I imagine in situations like these is quite understandable. I mean, understandable to most people, expect for Rocinante who holds a PhD in Googleology and knows what he is talking about.

It would’ve been fine for Obama to have said, “I don’t know the term in German.” But he wasn’t wrong to say Austrian. The most correct would’ve been Austrian German. Either way, it’s a far cry from “Pyramidese in Egypt”.

Signature 

Tom Waits

Laurence Sterne

Posted: 31 January 2011 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Of course. But as Rocinante already said, Obama smokes, so he must be an idiot.

Posted: 31 January 2011 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2011-01-17
George - 31 January 2011 12:07 PM

Of course. But as Rocinante already said, Obama smokes, so he must be an idiot.

He probably drinks and has sex too. I’m pretty sure on that last one, because of the children. I, on the other hand, got pregnant the old fashioned way. Using public toilets.

Rocinante is too hyperbolic in his derision. Any valid points he might have are lost in his over the top rhetoric. Addiction in itself does not prove mental or moral bankruptcy.

Signature 

Tom Waits

Laurence Sterne

Posted: 31 January 2011 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2007-06-20
DarronS - 31 January 2011 11:01 AM

How many times are you going to copy and paste the same material, Rocinante

How many times are Obama’s apologists going to ignore his absolutely idiotic statements? 

If it were Bush doing even half those things, they’d be hyperventilating all over themselves at how such examples prove just how stupid Bush is - and they’d be correct! grin  But when it comes to their Sacred Cow of Obama, they commit the same type of flawed reasoning and special pleading excuses that True Believers make for Practitioners of Woo.  And the fact that I bring up these uncomfortable (and undeniable) facts about President Obama causes such painful cognitive dissonance in them, that they lash out at me and call me names - but never acknowledge the facts about the man that many truly want to believe is some sort of super genius.  They seem to think that by attempting to tear me down that somehow builds Obama up.  It doesn’t.

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 31 January 2011 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2011-01-17
Rocinante - 31 January 2011 01:54 PM
DarronS - 31 January 2011 11:01 AM

How many times are you going to copy and paste the same material, Rocinante

How many times are Obama’s apologists going to ignore his absolutely idiotic statements? 

If it were Bush doing even half those things, they’d be hyperventilating all over themselves at how such examples prove just how stupid Bush is - and they’d be correct! grin  But when it comes to their Sacred Cow of Obama, they commit the same type of flawed reasoning and special pleading excuses that True Believers make for Practitioners of Woo.  And the fact that I bring up these uncomfortable (and undeniable) facts about President Obama causes such painful cognitive dissonance in them, that they lash out at me and call me names - but never acknowledge the facts about the man that many truly want to believe is some sort of super genius.  They seem to think that by attempting to tear me down that somehow builds Obama up.  It doesn’t.

You are, no surprise here, completely wrong. Many prominent leftists have hard criticisms of Obama, including Michael Moore, Kieth Olbermann, and Rachael Maddow. Because they are honest people. He isn’t my favourite either. No one here, as far as I have seen, has taken issue with you criticising him. It is your slavering style that rubs the wrong way. You seem to think you’ve wowed us all with your self-perceived staggering intellect. Sit down, and take stock of yourself.

Signature 

Tom Waits

Laurence Sterne

Posted: 31 January 2011 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Joined  2007-06-20
DarronS - 30 January 2011 08:18 PM

Bee’s Mom, Rocinante is not a troll, he’s just a horse’s ass. Hence the screen name.

I want to commend you for a very clever Don Quixote-based pun!  grin  Well done!  Even though the barb was aimed at me, even I must admit that was a good one. 

But for the record my screen name technically does not come from Quixote’s horse.  It comes from the name of the first (fictional) spaceship to fly into the first (real) black hole discovered…for all you Sci Fi fans out there.

Signature 

—James Madison

Posted: 31 January 2011 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Joined  2007-06-20
Bees Mom - 31 January 2011 02:03 PM

You are, no surprise here, completely wrong. Many prominent leftists have hard criticisms of Obama, including Michael Moore, Kieth Olbermann, and Rachael Maddow. Because they are honest people.

Cough, cough, choke, gag…

For a second there I thought you said Michael Moore was honest!  grin 

Wait!  You did say that!  I know what Obama smokes, but whatever you are smoking, you have smoked way too much of it if you believe Michael Moore is honest! 

Their criticism of Obama is not my point.  My point is this:  For 8 years the left assured the world that Bush had a room temperature IQ.  But now, when Obama gets on the same world stage in the same office and does some stuff that is clearly just as stupid as Bush did, they refuse to accept those facts and give Obama pass after pass after pass.  In other words, they do not apply the same standards to the two men.  Skeptics shouldn’t do that.  That little “D” or “R” after their names seems to be the deciding factor on who gets the smart or dumb label.

Signature 

—James Madison

Posted: 31 January 2011 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
Rocinante - 31 January 2011 01:54 PM

but never acknowledge the facts about the man that many truly want to believe is some sort of super genius.

Maybe he’s a genius: he is not overweight. I likez to play a psychologist too.  cheese

Posted: 31 January 2011 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2007-06-20
gary100 - 30 January 2011 05:29 PM

Is Democracy erupting in Egypt?

It sure would be nice.  But I’m skeptical.  A recent Pew poll of Egyptians found that 59% of people liked “Islamists” compared to only 27% “Modernizers.”  And, as I am sure most know from news reports, the Muslim Brotherhood are trying their best to weasel their way into the fray. 

This situation represents one of the harsh realities about the world - especially in the Middle East.  Yes Mubarak is bad.  But just because he may be kicked out does not mean that his replacement will automatically be better.  Things can always get worse.  Mubarak kept peace with Israel.  If that goes out the window, things could get real messy real fast.

[ Edited: 31 January 2011 02:30 PM by Rocinante ]
 Signature 

—James Madison

3 of 5

‹‹ Economist Article On the Rich      never mind ››