4 of 5
Blame the Riots in Egypt on Twitter?
Posted: 31 January 2011 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  338
Joined  2011-01-17
Rocinante - 31 January 2011 02:16 PM
Bees Mom - 31 January 2011 02:03 PM

You are, no surprise here, completely wrong. Many prominent leftists have hard criticisms of Obama, including Michael Moore, Kieth Olbermann, and Rachael Maddow. Because they are honest people.

Cough, cough, choke, gag…

For a second there I thought you said Michael Moore was honest!  grin 

Wait!  You did say that!  I know what Obama smokes, but whatever you are smoking, you have smoked way too much of it if you believe Michael Moore is honest! 

Their criticism of Obama is not my point.  My point is this:  For 8 years the left assured the world that Bush had a room temperature IQ.  But now, when Obama gets on the same world stage in the same office and does some stuff that is clearly just as stupid as Bush did, they refuse to accept those facts and give Obama pass after pass after pass.  In other words, they do not apply the same standards to the two men.  Skeptics shouldn’t do that.  That little “D” or “R” after their names seems to be the deciding factor on who gets the smart or dumb label.

I think you misunderstand. I get what “point” you are trying to make, it’s just wrong. See, people can get it AND think it’s wrong. Crazy, I know.

I’m also done with it, because twirling around in one spot makes me feel nauseated.

Signature 

“You can tell me that it’s gospel but I know that it’s only church.”

Tom Waits

“I take a simple view of life. It is keep your eyes open and get on with it.”

Laurence Sterne

Posted: 31 January 2011 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Total Posts:  6041
Joined  2009-02-26
Rocinante - 31 January 2011 10:38 AM
Write4U - 31 January 2011 06:01 AM

Reference?

Seriously?  You don’t know?  That is an indictment on how little you know about the man.

I listen and think about what he is saying and why. Apparently you just want to tear him down, no matter what he says. 

The President of the United States, the man we are supposed to believe is so worldly and wise actually thought “Austrian” was a language.

I believe that has been addressed sufficiently by others.

Even if Obame misspoke, what do you find idiotic about him? His lack of schooling?

Obama went to Harvard.  Bush went to Yale.  If you accept the former is intelligent just because he went to school you must accept the latter is intelligent for the same reason.

I can see a few minor differences in academic accomplishments.

His lack of compassion?

My dog has compassion.  Compassion =/= intelligence.

Who equated compassion with intelligence? I did not.

His calm and reasoned demeanor.

Obama: “They Bring a Knife…We Bring a Gun”
Obama: “Get in Their Faces!”
Obama: “I don’t want to quell anger. I think people are right to be angry! I’m angry!”
Obama: “Hit Back Twice As Hard”
Obama: “We talk to these folks… so I know whose ass to kick.“
Obama: Republican victory would mean “hand to hand combat”
Obama: “It’s time to Fight for it.”
Obama: “Punish your enemies.”
Obama: “I’m itching for a fight.”

References?  And I want all of them in toto, so that we can see the context in which they are made. You are the expert, enlighten us.

Where do you find indications of an “idiot”?

Puffing on cancer sticks counts as idiotic in my book.

I tend to agree with you on that point, but at least it is legal, unlike cocaine. 

What about Obama’s calling a Corpsman a “Corpse Man” at the National Prayer Breakfast.  The man is the freaking Commander in Chief for crying out loud!

Ah, so now you are an expert in phonetics as well. When he said that word, did he spell it out? 

Obama says he has been to 57 U.S. states.

reference link?

Obama, while in South Dakota, called Sioux Falls ‘Sioux City’ and then said, “I’ve been in Iowa for too long.”

Yes, he made a mistake and corrected himself. Sioux City is in fact in Iowa.

Obama, while in Florida said, “How’s it going, Sunshine? Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you everybody. It’s good to be in Sunshine!”

Florida is the “sunshine state”. Ooops, Obama left off “state”. What blunder!!!!

Obama gets confused between Iran and Iraq. Obama has also confused Iraq for Afghanistan.

reference link?  Again, please provide the entire text, so that we can see the context. 

Obama said his uncle “…was part of the first American troops to go into Auschwitz and liberate the concentration camps.”
Soviet troops liberated Auschwitz.

omg, Obama gave his uncle credit for being part of the liberation effort of Auschwitz. How misleading!  He must have had some nefarious purpose in generalizing something that happened 65 years ago.  Obama baaaaaad!!!

Obama said, “We only have a certain number of . . . [Arabic language translators], and if they are all in Iraq, then it’s harder for us to use them in Afghanistan.”
The man who made ending these wars one of his main running points doesn’t know Afghanis speak Pashto, Farsi, or other non-Arabic languages.

And those are not Arabic languages which require translation?

Obama said, “I trust the American people to understand that it is not weakness, but wisdom to talk . . . to our enemies, like Roosevelt did, and Kennedy did, and Truman did.”
FDR did not talk directly with any enemy axis powers before the outbreak of hostilities, and his policy once war began was their unconditional surrender. 
Truman kept FDR’s policy for WWII.
Truman did not meet unconditionally with Kim Il Sung.  Truman sent troops.
Kennedy said of his meeting with Kruschev, “He beat the hell out of me.” The Berlin Wall started being built 2 months later.  The Cuban Missile Crisis soon followed.  New York Times columnist James Resto said, “Khrushchev decided he was dealing with an inexperienced young leader who could be intimidated and blackmailed.”

Yes why talk, we should just “nuke em all”.

Obama said, “There was something stirring across the country because of what happened in Selma, Ala., because some folks are willing to march across a bridge. So they got together and Barack Obama Jr. was born.”
Obama was born in 1961. The Selma March took place in 1965.

Referene link of the entire speech please. IMO, you completely missed the point of that remark. Who is Barack Obama Jr.?

Obama said, “I’m not familiar with the Hanford, uuuuhh, site, so I don’t know exactly what’s going on there.”
Obama had already voted on a defense-authorization bill that addressed the “costs, schedules, and technical issues” dealing with the Hanford site, the nation’s most contaminated nuclear-waste site.

He should have donned a hard hat and evaluated the site personally. Then he would have had first hand “knowledge” of Hanford and would have voted against this defense authorization? Is that what you are saying here?

Obama said, “On this Memorial Day, as our nation honors its unbroken line of fallen heroes—and I see many of them in the audience here today—our sense of patriotism is particularly strong.”[Emphasis added.]

And? Perhaps he was acknowledging the vets in their wheelchairs who had given all but their lives. I am sure they understood.

Obama said, “Since the Bush Administration launched a misguided war in Iraq, its policy in the Americas has been negligent toward our friends, ineffective with our adversaries. . .No wonder, then, that demagogues like Hugo Chávez have stepped into this vacuum. 
Chávez was first elected president in 1998, and reelected in 2000, both occurring while Bill Clinton was serving his second term as President.

Seems a perfectly well constructed sentence. Did Obama cite election dates?  Or was he referring to Chavez tantrums later. You should read that sentence again.

On CBS’s Face the Nation, then Sen. Barack Obama, in Afghanistan, told the paparazzi-pursued correspondent Lara Logan that “the objective of this trip was to have substantive discussions with people like President Karzai or Prime Minister Maliki or President Sarkozy or others who I expect to be dealing with over the next eight to 10 years.” [Read the Constitution to know why this is stupid.]

I see, Foreign Policy cannot exceed the term of the president in office. A whole new approach to Foreign relations. Every promise or treaty made by a president is good only for the duration of his term in office. That will really instill trust in the commitments made by the US. Good thinking.

Obama said tornadoes in Kansas killed 10,000 people saying, “In case you missed it, this week, there was a tragedy in Kansas. Ten thousand people died — an entire town destroyed.”
12 people died in the tornadoes.

reference link please, with full text of the speech for context.

Obama said, “…more young black men languish in prison than attend colleges and universities.”
There are more than twice as many black men ages 18 to 24 in college as there are in jail.

Reference links please.

Obama told Larry King on CNN, “We don’t have the technical capacity to create something like that,” referring to an anti-Hillary YouTube doctored ad based on the classic Apple Macintosh “1984” ad.
Who the hell did it then?  Aliens?

Oh yes, Youtube must be scrutinized by the president of the US for “truth”. Gimme a break!

While visiting Mount Rushmore Senator Obama, asked about the chase scene in Hitchcock’s North by Northwest asking, “How did they get up there in the first place?” he asked ranger Wesley Jensen.
Movies are just pretend.  Jensen said of the movie with 1950s special effect, “They didn’t.  It was a movie set.”

Oh how stupid, movies are never shot on-site, but always in a studio. Just like “Apocalypse now”  How could Obama not know?!!!!!!!! 

Obama said, “We’ve seen just a skyrocketing autism rate. Some people are suspicious that it’s connected to the vaccines…The science right now is inconclusive, but we have to research it.”
The science is conclusive.  Nineteen scientific studies have all refuted any causal connection between vaccines and autism.

So lets drop this autism research thing altogether, why don’t we.

Obama said he wants to meet with Venezuelan dictator Hugo Chávez to discuss Chávez’s support of Marxist FARC terrorists in Colombia. Obama insisted (the very next day) any country supporting FARC terrorists should suffer “regional isolation.”

Ah, I forgot, you are also an expert in foreign relations and “public statements vs quiet diplomacy” when negotiating with antagonistic leaders.

Obama said, “[Iran doesn’t] pose a serious threat to us.”
Obama said (the very next day), “I’ve made it clear for years that the threat from Iran is grave.”

a) Does Iran pose an immediate threat to the US?      No
b) Does Iran pose a threat in the future?                Yes.

Obama called for the UN to pass a Resolution condemning Russia. Russia has UNSC Veto Power.

So?  The point was made. If the US had not raised the issue, you would have condemned him for “cowardice”.

Obama tried to walk through a window of the house he lives in.

Obama ran into something at home???????  This is too much Rocinante, even for you.

Obama called Ottawa, “Iowa.”

reference link with complete text please.

Obama said, “What you’re now seeing is, profit and earning ratios are starting to get to the point where buying stocks is a potentially good deal if you’ve got a long term perspective on it,”
“P/E Ratio” means “price-to-earnings ratio,” not “profit and earnings ratio.” There is a difference.

A misspeak, but you seem to have understood the meaning of what he was saying.

[ Edited: 01 February 2011 02:03 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 31 January 2011 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

page 2

In one of his many diplomatic blunders, Obama gave UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown a chinsey gift of a couple dozen U.S. movies on DVD. Besides being a diplomatic no-no, U.S. coded DVDs don’t play in British DVD players.

A diplomatic no-no? How is that? Is it not customary to exchange gifts between friends. If it had had great value, you would have accused him of bribery. Have you considered that these DVDs may have been requested over the phone by Brown? And of course those “stupid” Brits do not have a way of translating a DVD into their format. 

(snipped)

Thought Experiment Time.  Had Bush made up a non-existent language or done any of the above, would you call him “stupid” or just come up with some special pleading excuse.

No, I would not over such trivia.
I don’t believe any of the above rose to the level of “Crusades” (when speaking about Islam) , “Mission Accomplished” (add 10+ years) , or issuing a personal fatwa “Dead or Alive” (good ole Texas expression).

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 31 January 2011 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Joined  2011-01-17

Geez, Write4U, that was truly impressive. I feel like giving you a martini and a shoulder rub.

C

Signature 

Tom Waits

Laurence Sterne

Posted: 31 January 2011 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Bees Mom - 31 January 2011 06:56 PM

Geez, Write4U, that was truly impressive. I feel like giving you a martini and a shoulder rub.

C

Careful now, I have an active imagination…. red face

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 31 January 2011 07:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Joined  2011-01-17
Write4U - 31 January 2011 07:01 PM

C

Go with it, it’s been a long day. tongue wink

Signature 

Tom Waits

Laurence Sterne

Posted: 31 January 2011 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Quoting Bee’s Mom:

I’m also done with it, because twirling around in one spot makes me feel nauseated.

Geez, you are much smarter than I am, B’s Mom.  It took me much longer to realize that about Rocinante.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 31 January 2011 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Occam. - 31 January 2011 07:08 PM

Quoting Bee’s Mom:

Geez, you are much smarter than I am, B’s Mom.  It took me much longer to realize that about Rocinante.  LOL

Occam

At least I got something for my efforts….. tongue wink

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 31 January 2011 08:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Write4U - 31 January 2011 07:01 PM

C

Wow, I hadn’t read the entire response. My decision to place him on my ignore list has been reinforced.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 01 February 2011 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Total Posts:  1071
Joined  2007-06-20

Write4U:  As for all the references, it’s called Google.  Perhaps you should learn how to use it.  I’m not doing your homework for you.  And no matter how much special pleading you do to assuage your cognitive dissonance, you know as well as I do (even if you can’t or won’t admit it), that if Bush did all those things Obama did, you’d never forgive him for them and they would be prove positive in your mind that the man is a mental midget.  The hypocritical double-standard from the left is as powerful and as pathetic as it is from the right when they gloss over their leaders’ idiocy.  Not a dime’s worth of difference between the left and the right in that regard.   

Asanta:  Even though you can’t see this, I note you still have not apologized to me for your filthy libelous lie about me that you posted quite a while ago.  But it takes guts and integrity to apologize, so…

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 01 February 2011 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

*rolls eyes at everyone*

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 01 February 2011 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Total Posts:  1332
Joined  2010-06-07
Write4U - 30 January 2011 04:37 PM
Bees Mom - 30 January 2011 01:55 AM
asanta - 30 January 2011 12:56 AM

The USA is, and has always been, a Republic.

Exactly! smile

Is there a practical difference between the terms Democracy and Republic? IMO, to say we are a democratic republic, would be redundant.

Idiots, electing idiots to represent them. Not that I want to be too derogatory…

It seems like a good system but I have to wonder about the level of education of the common man. Or perhaps it is the level of skepticism. Everyone wants a better life and people get sold a bill of goods on how to achieve it. Teapartiers for example, aren’t bad people. They just want a better life. They just don’t think to question whether what is being promised by a politician is realistic to accomplish.

I know how it works. I tell people what they want to hear. I provide anecdotal stories that support their ideology and I’m a good guy. Works for child predators. It’s kind of a social skill.

I trust a few people I know well but I don’t see a reason to trust someone I don’t know. How can you really know someone from the politic ads? You’re going to let someone represent you that you don’t really know? How they treat their wife and kids. How they treat their dog. How honest a person they are.

People should be encouraged to get to know the people who they choose to represent them. Not vote based on stupid political ads which I think many do. I don’t hear that message. We get ideology ads. Ads that tell you what you want to hear. I don’t know, I tend not to trust someone who tells me what I want to hear.

I’m sure there are good guys out there, but a lot of people trust individuals they shouldn’t.

Posted: 01 February 2011 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

if Bush did all those things Obama did, you’d never forgive him for them and they would be prove positive in your mind that the man is a mental midget.

Minor correction of a misspeak. The expression is “proof positive”. But no offense taken…. cheese

And what did Obama do that you object to?  All you have cited is trivial misspeaks. I don’t see Obama invading a sovereign country, Iraq, (Afghanistan is a joint United Nations effort and only a continuation of an existing policy), or antagonizing the rest of the world. I think we can safely say that Obama has brought a little sanity to an insane situation left by his predecessor.

According to this Obama has kept most of the promises he made and on which he was elected.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter/rulings/promise-kept/

Now you may not like this agenda as being too socialistic, but apparently the majority of voters did and to them he has delivered.

[ Edited: 01 February 2011 02:11 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 01 February 2011 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Mubarak just announced he will not seek another term, and it reminded me of a picture Dead Monky posted here somewhere before grin :

thx-captain-obvious.jpg

Posted: 01 February 2011 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Total Posts:  1071
Joined  2007-06-20
Write4U - 01 February 2011 01:57 PM

Minor correction of a misspeak. The expression is “proof positive”. But no offense taken…. cheese

You are correct.  I was wrong.  Thanks for pointing it out. 

All you have cited is trivial misspeaks.

To paraphrase Goldfinger, “Once is an accident. Twice is coincidence. Fifty-seven times is idiocy!” grin  Sorry, but I just don’t buy the claim that Obama is so smart.  He gives a great speech (as long as he has a teleprompter), but I believe a lack of real-world experience, living in a bubble, surrounding himself with “yes men” and his narcissistic attitude have not done the man any good in the intelligence department.  And don’t give me “Harvard.”  Show me his grades there then you might have something.  Political pull and money can get anyone admitted to a school like that.  (Cough, cough, Bush, Yale, cough, cough!) grin 

And what did Obama do that you object to?

I already said I am taking a break from discussing and debating politics here due to the headache I get from doing so. grin  But since you took the time and actually did not ignore some of the points I made and actually addressed some of them; and since you didn’t call me a name and asked a legitimate question of why I oppose Obama, I will give you a few reasons.  I am not going to provide links, because it takes too long.  I am not going to debate them because of the headache reason listed above. grin  But here are some of the reasons I don’t like Obama:

I do not agree with socialists (and like I said, I’m not going to debate things including the definition of socialism - Obama is a socialist!  Likewise a fascist - please note there is a difference between a fascist and a Nazi.  I am NOT calling Obama a Nazi!  But government control of private industry is fascism!)  I am pro-freedom, pro-choice, pro liberty.  Socialism and what Obama stands for is the opposite of what I stand for.

I do not like Obama’s voting record in the Senate - the single most radical leftist voting record of anyone. 

I am opposed to ObamaCare, as is Obama’s own doctor (David Scheiner for those who wish to Google it).  I also note that many of the union thugs who helped push ObamaCare through now get their very own waiver from it!  They sure as hell don’t want it for themselves, but have no problem forcing it on others! 

I do not like Obama’s trying to get people to maximize their dependency on government instead of promoting self-reliance and personal responsibility. 

I do not like Obama’s 20 year friendly relationship with a racist, anti-Semitic preacher.

I do not like the fact that Obama is friends with unrepentant terrorists William Ayres.

I do not like the fact that the Obama campaign filed a criminal complaint  big surprise  against the citizens who ran an ad about Obama and William Ayers.

I do not like Obama increasing Bush’s Faith-Based Initiatives.

I opposed the stimulus.

I opposed the bailouts. 

I opposed Obama trying to keep Republicans out of the stimulus negotiations. (Bipartisan my ass!) 

I do not like how Obama plants pre-screened questioners and stooges in his audiences to ask prepared questions. 

I do not like how Obama’s Justice Department let slide the voter intimidation from Black Panther thugs.

I do not like how Obama appointed a “Truther” as one of Obama’s many Czars.

Heck, I don’t like the fact that we even have any “Czars!” 

I don’t like how Obama gives “Shout Outs” to people in the audience during serious events.  He is not at a comedy club.  He needs to act presidential at such events. 

I do not like how Obama said he wants to “spread the wealth around.” 

I don’t like how Obama supports DNA sampling of citizens who have just been arrested but never convicted.

I do not like how Obama’s agencies are less open to the public than they were under Bush. 

I do not like how Obama doesn’t think gays should be free or have the right to get married.

I do not like how Obama said nothing in support of the pro-democracy protesters in Iran who tried to stand up to their oppressive weird-beard Islamofascists rulers. 

I do not like how Obama’s administration said they were going to “keep a boot on the throat of BP,” all while Obama got more money from BP than any other politician. 

I do not like Obama bowing to foreign leaders and dictators. 

I do not like the fact that Obama never held any real 9-5 job or had any real leadership experience before becoming elected. 

I do not like how Obama has increased government spending more than ever before.

I do not think Obama takes the dangers of the threat of Islamofascists seriously. 

There’s so much more I disagree with about the man, but that should do for a start.  Suffice it to say I have legitimate reasons to oppose Obama.  I am not a hate-monger, I am not a racist, I am not a conservative.  And please no tu quoques about Bush doing some of this stuff.  I was against it then too, and Bush is not the president anymore.   

Again, thanks for asking a straight-forward question without the name-calling.  If only more liberals would respond in a like manner! grin

I don’t see Obama invading a sovereign country…

You forgot about Obama increasing drone attacks on sovereign (and nuclear armed!) Pakistan, which had nothing to do with 9/11!  And he did it without Congressional approval.  At least Bush got Congressional approval before Iraq and Afghanistan.  Obama could end all military action in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan with a single signature of his pen.  He hasn’t.  Look, if you are opposed to the war against Islamofascists, that’s fine.  But just stay consistent.  Obama is continuing the Bush doctrine, albeit only half-assed in my opinion.   

Now you may not like this agenda as being too socialistic, but apparently the majority of voters did…

Since I do not support direct democracy, that doesn’t appeal to me.  The majority of voters also don’t think gays or lesbians should be able to marry - just as Obama doesn’t think they should be free to marry.  Just because a majority want something, doesn’t make it right.

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

4 of 5

‹‹ Economist Article On the Rich      never mind ››