6 of 6
Egypt?
Posted: 05 December 2011 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 05 December 2011 11:38 AM

Obviously, if kids start with different ability levels, then no matter what teachers do, the gap will remain, regardless of how much more money we spend on education.

Sad, but very true.  downer

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 05 December 2011 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Total Posts:  2891
Joined  2011-08-15

Hmm, you seem to have changed your position now on the question of ability, so I guess we are in agreement on that.

Obviously, if kids start with different ability levels, then no matter what teachers do, the gap will remain, regardless of how much more money we spend on education

George, you’re going to have to be more clear on what you mean by ability. Are you referencing a particular norm in learning and behavior? Given a standard, say teachers with the same ability and classrooms with the same equipment to educate a student the outcome may be changed by the capacity of the student to learn. But it’s not that simple. There are just too many variables. Many of which I outlined in earler posts. Of course therre will always be anomolies that wil lead to differences in learning which may create the “gap” you mention, whatever that is, but the aim of education is universal. All students can learn to the BEST of their ability. that is the true aim of education, not just for the elite or the inherentely intelligent. It gives the student the opportunity to learn how to learn and become a useful and productive citizen.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 05 December 2011 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

I don’t really understand what you’re asking me here, Jack. Maybe we just better let it be.

Posted: 05 December 2011 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Total Posts:  2891
Joined  2011-08-15

Ok George I’m about exausted with this topic anyway.  tongue laugh I think you and I are arguing apples and oranges. In a lighter vein did you know that Barbara Oakley is releasing a new book entitled “Pathological Altruism”? It’s due out on Dec. 19. Sounds interesting and right up your alley!

Cap’t jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 05 December 2011 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

No, I didn’t know that. I’ll check it out. Thanks, Jack!

Posted: 02 July 2013 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Wow, between the Supreme Court and the Arab Spring and Turkey big surprise ... I am aware of all the trouble in the world, grin but I am just elated by all the great true democracy and justice going on!!  LOL  Yeah, baby!

“Millions of people have rallied across Egypt calling for the ouster of President Mohamed Morsi one year after his inauguration. With turnout as high as 17 million, it’s Egypt’s largest protests since the 2011 revolution that ousted Hosni Mubarak.”

Sharif Abdel Kouddous: Millions Protesting Morsi Show Egyptian Revolution Still Going Strong

I know it can all be frightening, lets hope its a good one democrats.  smile

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

6 of 6