4 of 11
Crop circles
Posted: 05 February 2011 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5173
Joined  2010-06-16

Is it true that college frat boys have taken to standing in a ring and defecating, thereby forming _____ circles?  (sorry, I couldn’t bring myself to write it. LOL  )

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 05 February 2011 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Total Posts:  2283
Joined  2007-07-05
Occam. - 04 February 2011 05:43 PM

I’m pretty sure this was photoshopped.  The two antennae on the left side of the picture have a dark upper outline, and that wouldn’t show up when just knocking down wheat or similar plants.

Occam

Here is a video with shots from multiple angles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIbcN-R5iY4

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 05 February 2011 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  189
Joined  2010-10-09

I have to say that ALL the “known” human-made crop circles I have seen are pretty crude.

Asanta, if as you say it’s possible to make large, intricate crop circles in no time at all with a few sticks and boards, give us a demonstration while we watch.

Counterfeit money certainly exists. Does that mean all money is counterfeit?

It’ fun to watch “skeptics” jumping up and down waving their arms to defend a firm “belief”.

TFS

[ Edited: 05 February 2011 03:23 PM by Theflyingsorcerer ]

Posted: 05 February 2011 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

Dude, you can find videos of people making crop circles on YouTube.

Here’s one of some people making the Firefox logo.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 05 February 2011 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

You can find LOTS of videos of people making very nice and intricate crop circles. grin

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 05 February 2011 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29
Theflyingsorcerer - 05 February 2011 03:19 PM

Counterfeit money certainly exists. Does that mean all money is counterfeit?

No, not all of it. Only the crude, human-made money.

Posted: 05 February 2011 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  189
Joined  2010-10-09

That video simply proves my point. The design is fairly simple, the execution is crude, and MORE THAN 19 HOURS is hardly “no time at all”.

TFS

Posted: 05 February 2011 06:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Total Posts:  345
Joined  2006-11-27

I think a non geometric design like the Firefox logo would be much more difficult to produce than many of the geometric ones.  Do any of you remember the Spirograph?  It was a very cool toy that used geared wheels with various points that held a pen captive and would create remarkably complex, circular based geometric patterns very quickly.  I think you could get much the same effect by swinging arcs, determined by premeasured ropes.  I’m just a metal worker with no college, but I know I can reproduce a geometric image much more easily than something organic.  Of course that doesn’t explain Elvis.  Hmmm.. maybe the double jointed hip structure should have tipped us off.  Elvis must have been an alien!

Signature 

If we’re not laughing, they’re winning.

Posted: 06 February 2011 01:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
Theflyingsorcerer - 05 February 2011 04:38 PM

That video simply proves my point. The design is fairly simple, the execution is crude, and MORE THAN 19 HOURS is hardly “no time at all”.

TFS

THAT video does not mean that all crop circles made by man are crude and take 16 hours.
ALL crop circles are made by humans. What part of “farmers invite artists to make intricate crop circles. It doesn’t damage their crops and brings in extra money” don’t you understand??

[ Edited: 06 February 2011 01:51 AM by asanta ]
 Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 06 February 2011 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Total Posts:  4142
Joined  2008-08-14
Theflyingsorcerer - 05 February 2011 04:38 PM

TFS

The design is fairly simple? It’s a non-geometric, non-symmetric design executed by people who are doing their first crop-circle ever!
I also like this video because it shows the design being built and it shows people walking around in the field next to and in the crushed plants.

I say for any crop circle that someone posts on this thread, that they claim is made by other than human means, they show an accompanying picture or video of people on the ground walking amongst the crushed straw. That way we can be sure it isn’t a foto-shop job.
Let’s see aerial footage of people walking amongst these mystery circles.
I find it foolish to be scrutinizing photos of circles I can’t be sure even exist. So let’s see GPS coordinates. Photos of people in the circle, measuring the circle, documenting the circle from different angles, etc..

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 06 February 2011 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Joined  2008-08-14

Also, no one has brought up the use of GPS in relation to these designs. I’m surprised those tech-geeks didn’t use it.(or didn’t mention the use of GPS)
Farmers can now hook up GPS steering devices to their tractors for example. It steers the tractor with GPS technology and is far more precise in plowing and planting then the human hand.
Any simpleton could plot out a piece of farmland on Google Earth, plot GPS points, distribute hand-held GPS devices to a crew and go to work replicating any design they wanted on a field. It’s thats simple. It’s that easy!!
It wouldn’t have to involve using ropes or giant compasses.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 06 February 2011 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Joined  2007-07-05
VYAZMA - 06 February 2011 09:05 AM

Also, no one has brought up the use of GPS in relation to these designs. I’m surprised those tech-geeks didn’t use it.(or didn’t mention the use of GPS)
Farmers can now hook up GPS steering devices to their tractors for example. It steers the tractor with GPS technology and is far more precise in plowing and planting then the human hand.
Any simpleton could plot out a piece of farmland on Google Earth, plot GPS points, distribute hand-held GPS devices to a crew and go to work replicating any design they wanted on a field. It’s thats simple. It’s that easy!!
It wouldn’t have to involve using ropes or giant compasses.

I happened to have my Garmin GPS12 handheld turned on at the same time as I was tuned into WWVB with my atomic clock and I found the following ideosynchrasy:

The gps reciver time lagged the atomic clock time by 0.5 to 1.0 second.

This means to me that longitude could be off by as much as 60 feet making your gps receiver think it is further East than it actually is.

To all you folks who depend upon GPS receivers to give you the proper time beware.

I do not know if they are playing such games with latitude too but it would not surprise me. I know the altitudes are bizzaro too.

http://www.gps-forums.net/gps-accuracy-and-precision-t6057.html

That post was made in 2005.

The Galaxy crop circle was made in 2001.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 06 February 2011 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Joined  2008-08-14

Psikey, everyone has product complaints. Yet these technologies march on. GPS systems are used everywhere. For architecture, engineering, navigation, map making, surveying… on and on and on. They work, they are relied on, and they are testable.
Were you aware of this? Were you aware that GPS systems are in use by everything and everybody. Are you aware that they can be had in a wide array of levels, from basic consumer type systems all the way up to advanced systems.
Are you judging the entire GPS technology on a complaint you saw on a product forum? Did you know that GPS encompasses far more than just some dashboard navigation system which tells people when to make a right turn?
Can we be sure this unknown person on your product forum was legitimate? Was his equipment faulty? Did he know how to use the equipment properly? We don’t know do we? We do know that GPS is used by major corporations, utilities, governments, and scientists.

Signature 

Posted: 06 February 2011 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Joined  2007-07-05
VYAZMA - 06 February 2011 10:34 AM

Psikey, everyone has product complaints. Yet these technologies march on. GPS systems are used everywhere. For architecture, engineering, navigation, map making, surveying… on and on and on. They work, they are relied on, and they are testable.
Were you aware of this? Were you aware that GPS systems are in use by everything and everybody.

I have owned a hand held GPS.  A friend of mine has one in his car that he can attach to his bike.  I own a 100 megahertz dual-trace Tektronix oscilloscope.  I started making my living in electronics in 1972.

If you want to believe that anyone that disagrees with you is ignorant and or STUPID be my guest.

But if someone is going camping in the woods or hiking cross country then an error of 15 to 100 feet in a GPS may be totally irrelevant.  But when you are driving down a 4 lane highway can the GPS tell which lane you are in?  I don’t doubt that on a cost basis that the GPSes in 2005 were better than those in 2001 and the current ones are better than those from 2005. 

But look at the circles in that Galaxy crop circle.  I bet an error of 5 feet would make an easily visible asymmetry in the pattern.  It is not my fault that you want to come up with simple explanations that have potential flaws that are child’s play to point out.

That is one of my problems with people that make a big deal about crop circles.  I would think the big circles would be easy to survey once they were found and some kind of percentage of error from perfection could be computed.  But I have never seen anyone mention that.  They mostly just show pretty pictures and talk a lot of speculative paranormal bullshit.  I am not interested in speculative bullshit FROM EITHER SIDE OF THE ISSUE.  If someone wants to CLAIM it could be done with GPSes then the precision of the devices is obviously important just from casual observation of the big crop circles. 

If I don’t know I admit I DO NOT KNOW..

But just because I don’t know does not keep me from admitting that it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFods1KSWsQ

ROFL

But where are the pictures of these crop circle artists working on huge partially completed works that had to take DAYS to make?

psik

http://www.factsfacts.com/geocaching/epe.htm

http://www.doylesdartden.com/gis/gpstest.htm

In its most accurate mode, GPS can determine location within a fraction of a foot. This level of accuracy could pose a national security risk, according to military experts. To prevent misuse of GPS, the military implemented a feature in the GPS signal called “Selective Availability” (SA). When SA is “on”, the accuracy of normal GPS receivers is degraded to about 150 feet by the inclusion of false position data. The civilian demand for more accurate GPS data resulted in the Federal Aviation Administration and Coast Guard implementing what is know as Differential GPS (DGPS). DGPS, which is accurate to within 2 meters, uses a receiver at a fixed location to broadcast corrections to nearby mobile receivers. Since these corrections eliminate the effect of SA, the military has agreed to eventually turn SA off. Until that happens, sailors with conventional GPS receivers will have to live with the reduced accuracy.

http://www.johnsboatstuff.com/Articles/gpserror.htm

So civilian GPS is deliberately not as accurate as it could be in the interests of NATIONAL SECURITY.  So is it accurate enough for crop circles?

[ Edited: 06 February 2011 12:49 PM by psikeyhackr ]
 Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 06 February 2011 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Joined  2008-08-14

When I sifted through all of the fluff of your last post I gathered that you are disputing that GPS is sufficiently accurate to plot out crop circle designs.
Is that what you are saying?

Signature 

4 of 11