Benzene is bad for your health
Posted: 02 February 2011 11:41 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6012
Joined  2009-02-26

Myelodysplastic Syndrome: Rare Blood Disorder Linked To Benzene Exposure
Myelodysplastic syndrome is a condition in which the bone marrow in the body produces insufficient amounts of healthy blood cells which are needed to control various functions within the body. It is unknown exactly how many individuals in the United States have developed myelodysplastic syndrome as many cases of the condition go undiagnosed. Experts estimate that between 10,000 and 20,000 new cases of myelodysplastic syndrome occur each year.

Signs & Symptoms of Myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS):
Fatigue
Shortness of Breath
Chest Pain
Chills
Decreased ability to fight infection, illness, or injury
Excessive or Uncontrolled bleeding
Reduction in the blood’s ability to clot

Although MDS can form inside the body without external causes, prolonged exposure to benzene—typically in industrial, workplace settings—is considered a contributing factor to developing the disease. Although the government has reduced the presence of benzene in industrial settings, it still remains in many industries. Benzene may be present in paint, paper, pesticides, leather, rubber, and plastics. Benzene is also used in oil refineries and in petroleum product manufacturing.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 03 February 2011 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I know it’s toxic, but when I was an early teenager we used to buy it by the quart, put it in a garden hose, attach a metal shower head (with all the tiny holes) to one end, blow into the other and light the fumes coming out to make a very fancy blowtorch.  That meant we were constantly breathing high concentrations of benzene.  And, until recently, gasoline contained quite a bit of it.  It was also used in many paints, especially interior and exterior house paints, but most of the coatings companies learned very early about its toxicity (especially carcinogenicity) and phased it out in the early or mid fifties.

Damn, if I hadn’t played with benzene when I was a kid I’d probably have a long life.  LOL

Fatigue - I thought it was because of age.
Shortness of Breath - Don’t notice that.
Chest Pain - I thought it was a heart attack about twelve years ago.
Chills - Hey, with this stupid weather, how can one avoid them?
Decreased ability to fight infection, illness, or injury - Haven’t seen the first two yet, the third I figured was because I’m getting clumsier as I get older.
Excessive or Uncontrolled bleeding - I thought it was because of the aspirin and Plavix I’m on.
Reduction in the blood’s ability to clot - Same as above.

Edited to correct a typo

Occam

[ Edited: 03 February 2011 05:51 PM by Occam. ]
 Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 03 February 2011 08:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  4062
Joined  2010-08-15
Occam. - 03 February 2011 05:46 PM

I know it’s toxic, but when I was an early teenager we used to buy it by the quart,

See there, what don’t kill you makes you stronger.

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 04 February 2011 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

Occam, I think all the chemicals you played with as a kid, have pickled you. You’re going to live to be 150.

(You have the funniest stories of childhood chemical concoctions, flame throwers, improvised firecrackers… you truly were meant for chemistry LOL )

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 04 February 2011 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

Occam, I think all the chemicals you played with as a kid, have pickled you. You’re going to live to be 150.

Hey!  He’ll be just like Ozzy.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 13 September 2012 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-09-13

This is something new. Benzene was never a health hazard. Be right back with a proof for this.

Posted: 13 September 2012 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

It apparently is carcinogenic, so it’s been phased out of all commercial products but occasionally does creep in in imported materials.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 14 September 2012 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2012-08-27

Really?!?!