1 of 2
IBM builds a Jeopardy contestant (Merged)
Posted: 09 February 2011 11:41 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Jeopardy and IBM get together for a gameIBM builds a computer to play Jeopardy.  Will anyone watch? 

Computer - it computes; it is an electronic platform for software engineers to exploit; that stupid thing that you want to punch but you use it every day; they are just too stupid to know what you are talking about, not one word.

Googol - 10^100

Google - A computer system, supplemented by human labor, to make a better search engine.  They use humans to make up for the limitations of computers, humans make the search results seem intelligent.

Deep Blue - an IBM chess program, run on a computer, that beat a human chess champion, Garry Kasparov.

Artificial Intelligence - The theory that a computer can be made intelligent, and that a human can define the word intelligence suitably.

Watson - IBM’s latest promo sensation, a Jeopardy program running on a custom IBM computer, built to retrieve information quickly from vast collections.  They say it is not connected to the Internet, but they do have copies of Wikipedia and other Web sites on it.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 10 February 2011 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  908
Joined  2005-01-14

I think the idea is fascinating.  Just a computer that can parse a typical Jeopardy! question well enough to understand what is being asked would be an astonishing breakthrough, wouldn’t you think?

Posted: 10 February 2011 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

On the web yesterday, I saw a spider, man that was fascinating.

The apple was juicy, sweet, crisp, and delicious.

A computer understanding language like that, would be like a cloud, a brick, a coin, a rock, understanding it!  Some people think that ants, bacteria, and viruses are alive, and do any of them understand culture?  How could a inanimate computer understand, when some lifeforms have no chance of understanding?  At least a dog can pick up a few words.  It might be possible for a software engineer to do to a computer, but Watson?  Sentences like that require human experience to put them in context.  What web?  A real spider web, or a video of a spider web, or the grand computer revolution that changing the culture?  How could a computer put a word like that in context, a computer that is not aware of human culture and the changes happening within it? 

Sure if Watson can come up with some coherent answers to Jeopardy questions in a few seconds, that looks good, but I think it is more of a cloak of understanding, than it is real understanding of culture and language.  I think Watson amounts to a fancy text search of Wiki and other web sites, that they have made it compete on Jeopardy is a great achievement for that technique, but intelligence or cultural awareness?

[ Edited: 10 February 2011 06:38 PM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

Posted: 10 February 2011 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2009-07-17

I’m pretty sure I saw this on a recent episode of Nova… I think it was this one, but I’m not positive.

It was pretty cool!

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 10 February 2011 07:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5190
Joined  2010-06-16

Just goes to show that even computer programs might miss on Jeopardy.  “Last name of Barney, the ancient comic strip character.”  And it would be: “Is it google?”  smile

Also a very old song that had the line in it, “. . . with the goo, goo, googley eyes.”

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 12 February 2011 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2005-01-14

Take the Final Jeopardy question last night: “In this 1930s movie, one character tries to quote the Pythagorean theorum and fails.”

Think about how a computer would systematically go about answering that!  It would have to have the script of every movie made in the 30s, run through each one looking for a line that looks like the Pythagorean theorum but isn’t!  I doubt that even Data could do that in less that 30 seconds!  But if you’re a human being, familiar with the movie in question, it just pops out at you, doesn’t it?  (like it did for me)

Posted: 12 February 2011 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  5190
Joined  2010-06-16

Well, you would have pressed the buzzer before me, but when you prompted me, I had to think for a second then recalled it, even without a diploma from the university of thinkology.  smile

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 13 February 2011 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Isn’t Ken Jennings a Software Engineer?

Signature 

Posted: 13 February 2011 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Isn’t Ken Jennings a Mormon from Salt Lake City, UT?

Signature 

Posted: 13 February 2011 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
jump_in_the_pit - 13 February 2011 09:26 PM

Isn’t Ken Jennings a Mormon from Salt Lake City, UT?

Yes.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 14 February 2011 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2005-01-14
Occam. - 12 February 2011 03:54 PM

Well, you would have pressed the buzzer before me, but when you prompted me, I had to think for a second then recalled it, even without a diploma from the university of thinkology.  smile

Occam

It was the Final Jeopardy question, so you wouldn’t have had to buzz in.  What makes the whole topic of artificial intelligence fascinating to me is that sometimes I can follow the chain of reasoning I used in coming up with the answer, but in this case I HAVE NO IDEA how I got it!  One second I was thinking, “Oh geez, how can anyone possibly know that…?” and then BAM! there it was!  And only one of the three contestants got it, either!

Posted: 15 February 2011 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  3799
Joined  2010-08-15

Computer crushes the competition on `Jeopardy!’
NEW YORK – The computer brained its human competition in Game 1 of the Man vs. Machine competition on “Jeopardy!”

sorry, sorry please do merge

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 15 February 2011 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26
citizenschallenge.pm - 15 February 2011 07:32 PM

NEW YORK – The computer brained its human competition in Game 1 of the Man vs. Machine competition on “Jeopardy!”

All we need do now is give a computer “motivation to learn”.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 15 February 2011 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  3799
Joined  2010-08-15
Write4U - 15 February 2011 08:01 PM
citizenschallenge.pm - 15 February 2011 07:32 PM

All we need do now is give a computer “motivation to learn”.

Well, hard to believe they could do worse than we seem to be doing.    long face

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 16 February 2011 02:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  2291
Joined  2007-07-05
citizenschallenge.pm - 15 February 2011 08:41 PM

Well, hard to believe they could do worse than we seem to be doing.    long face

True.

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 16 February 2011 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2005-01-14

It was a hugely disappointing game, because I was hoping to learn more about how it went about reading the questions.  Apparently it simply pounced on a “key word” (although how it picked it’s key words was left unclear).  Once in a while, you could see it make a mistake by picking the wrong key word—answering “Picasso” instead of “Modern Art”, for example.  But if you noticed, most of the questions were pretty straightforward.  “This condition, also known as Hansen’s disease…”  gosh, all the machine had to do was look up Hansen’s disease!  So the only reason it won was because it had a roomful of servers operating a hundred times faster than its human opponents.  Big woop!

1 of 2