2 of 3
Which Jesus?
Posted: 14 February 2011 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  582
Joined  2010-04-19
George - 14 February 2011 08:52 AM
Dead Monky - 14 February 2011 07:31 AM

I’ve always just figured that even if you hate them everyone should watch them once.  Of course, I think that about most movies that have had such a major impact on society.

Would that include Snakes on a Planegrin

Okay thats it, George. “Enuff…is ENUFF”!!  cool mad

Signature 

Don’t get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

- Bruce Lee -

Posted: 14 February 2011 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

I’ve always just figured that even if you hate them everyone should watch them once.  Of course, I think that about most movies that have had such a major impact on society.

Oh most definitely.  Along with mandatory showings of Battlefield Earth and Armageddon it’s part of my plan to show everyone what not to do when making a movie.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 14 February 2011 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Dead Monky - 14 February 2011 10:21 AM

Oh most definitely.  Along with mandatory showings of Battlefield Earth and Armageddon it’s part of my plan to show everyone what not to do when making a movie.

Well, I don’t need to bite into a rotten potato to know that it’s rotten.  wink

Posted: 14 February 2011 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Yes, but the fact that movies like those keep getting made show us that some people aren’t that intelligent.

Signature 

Posted: 14 February 2011 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I agree with George.  Just because the book of mormon and the koran have had a major impact on society certainly doesn’t justify the waste of my time to read them.  And, like George, I’d probably last about three pages before I put the book in the recycle bin.

However, since I’ve always enjoyed S-F, I did see Starwars.  It was OK, but I had to suspend quite a bit more of scientific disbelief than is usual for S-F stories. 

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 14 February 2011 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam. - 14 February 2011 02:57 PM

I agree with George.  Just because the book of mormon and the koran have had a major impact on society certainly doesn’t justify the waste of my time to read them.  And, like George, I’d probably last about three pages before I put the book in the recycle bin.

However, since I’ve always enjoyed S-F, I did see Starwars.  It was OK, but I had to suspend quite a bit more of scientific disbelief than is usual for S-F stories. 

Occam

I read the entire bible..once. I have no reason to believe the koran and book of moron would be any more illuminating. A more interesting story is the former mormon forger who kept selling them embarrassing letters and documents he was forging. The presidents didn’t even stop to think they could be untrue, they paid to keep them hidden.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Hofmann
He blew it when he set up a Ponzi scheme and murdered two people to keep from paying them off.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 14 February 2011 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  338
Joined  2011-01-17
asanta - 14 February 2011 04:31 PM

Occam

I read the entire bible..once. I have no reason to believe the koran and book of moron would be any more illuminating. A more interesting story is the former mormon forger who kept selling them embarrassing letters and documents he was forging. The presidents didn’t even stop to think they could be untrue, they paid to keep them hidden.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Hofmann
He blew it when he set up a Ponzi scheme and murdered two people to keep from paying them off.

I haven’t read any of them, just excerpts. What I have read is tons of religious theory BASED on them, and lardy, that’s enough.

Signature 

“You can tell me that it’s gospel but I know that it’s only church.”

Tom Waits

“I take a simple view of life. It is keep your eyes open and get on with it.”

Laurence Sterne

Posted: 15 February 2011 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

rolleyes  LOL 

It never fails.

Signature 

Posted: 15 February 2011 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  782
Joined  2009-07-17

Occam

I guess I still don’t know enough science to be bothered by the bad science in movies.  red face Or maybe I just focus more on the story itself and overlook the details? :shrug: Who knows?

Then again, I’ve always been more into fantasy fiction than science fiction. (Maybe why it’s easy for me to just accept the “movie’s paradigm”? I dunno…)

So, what did folks think about Serenity?

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 15 February 2011 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Believe it or not, I’ve never seen Serenity.  Well, I’ve seen part of it, but it was only about twenty minutes and I no idea what was going on.  I’ve never seen Firefly either.  I no, I iz ashaimd.

But the old fantasy vs sci-fi dilemma.  I prefer different things for different things.  I like fantasy for my PnP gaming, sci-fi for movies and books (especially hard sci-fi), and am about 50/50 on video games and comics.  I also like when the two blend, so-called science fantasy.  Odd and wonderful things leak forth from that.

Signature 

Posted: 15 February 2011 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

1.  As I’ve said before, I loved mythology when I was a child so the child’s bible my aunt gave me when I was seven was great because it was just one more book of mythology.

2.  Since I’ve become an adult I enjoy S-F, but can’t stand fantasy.  One of the real problems with recent TV is that it’s replaced all the decent S-F programs with dumb fantasy.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 15 February 2011 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  782
Joined  2009-07-17
Occam. - 15 February 2011 02:45 PM

2.  Since I’ve become an adult I enjoy S-F, but can’t stand fantasy.  One of the real problems with recent TV is that it’s replaced all the decent S-F programs with dumb fantasy.

I’m always surprised by this as well. There’s such a wealth of fantasy and sci-fi writings to draw from to tell cool stories. But they get ignored. (And of course it’s about what the masses want so networks can sell advertising.) But why not get actual authors to help write the shows? (Gee, like classic Star Trek did?)

I’ve been meaning to watch Big Bang Theory, but never remember it when I get home. tongue wink

So what authors of “hard” science fiction would you folks recommend? I’m always willing to read different things. Well… Except for romance novels and books based on revelation. grin

Take care,

Derek

[ Edited: 15 February 2011 03:04 PM by harry canyon ]
 Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 15 February 2011 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

I like Stephen Baxter.  I’ve been slowly working through his Xeelee Sequence novels for the last year or so and am rather enjoying them.

Signature 

Posted: 15 February 2011 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  338
Joined  2011-01-17
harry canyon - 15 February 2011 02:21 PM

Occam

I guess I still don’t know enough science to be bothered by the bad science in movies.  red face Or maybe I just focus more on the story itself and overlook the details? :shrug: Who knows?

Then again, I’ve always been more into fantasy fiction than science fiction. (Maybe why it’s easy for me to just accept the “movie’s paradigm”? I dunno…)

So, what did folks think about Serenity?

Take care,

Derek

I loved Serenity. And Firefly. And Mal. And Nathan Fillion. I totally don’t know enough science to be all judgemental. Give me good story.

Signature 

“You can tell me that it’s gospel but I know that it’s only church.”

Tom Waits

“I take a simple view of life. It is keep your eyes open and get on with it.”

Laurence Sterne

Posted: 21 February 2011 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2011-02-13

I like mine to have that fresh, clean feeling.
l.jpg

2 of 3