1 of 2
Do You BELIEVE?
Posted: 12 February 2011 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  66
Joined  2011-01-01

Did I spel believe right?

Do you believe there are Space aliens, UFO’s, and stuff?

Yes,,, I am ‘baiting’ you with this question… But isn’t that the point of most Questions?

and Yes,,,,,,,,, every good question deserves a thousand stoopid answers,,, so fire away…

Posted: 12 February 2011 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

The answers are yes, yes, and yes.  I think with the unbelievably large number of probable planets there are almost certainly some forms of alien life, but not that any of it has the capability of visiting earth.  UFOs - Of course.  Every time I see a spec in the sky leaving a con trail, I have no idea of what size plane it is or what organization, Air Force, UAL, AA, or other airline owns it, so it’s unidentified.  And, third, of course I believe in stuff, but there’s other stuff I don’t believe in. 

Maybe you want to work on precision of the question. smile

OH, and does every stoopid question deserve a thousand good answers?

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 12 February 2011 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  6035
Joined  2009-02-26

tirebiter4659
Did I spel believe right?

Lol..yes, but you spelled “spel” wrong. It is “spell”......... cheese

See already 2 good answers to a stoopid question.

[ Edited: 12 February 2011 03:38 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 12 February 2011 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I’m sure he didn’t know that, W4U.  (now where’s that sarcasm smiley?)

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 12 February 2011 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-01

yeah,,,, I had a buddy who said he’d seen one flying straight over his head. He said it was amazing how quiet it was, and that it was neato how it was going through the clouds.  Not a long story,, certainly not much room for embellishment,, and I can’t see his gain from makeing the whole thing up..

There’s tons of anectdotal evidence like this, and a fair amount of physical evidence like the videos of the ships over Phoenix. I read/heard that there was a 3 month period where they were flying/hovering over Sao Paolo too?

I guess the question was poorly constructed to broad’n the range of answers rather than narrow’n themn.

Pleaz part whith any evidence, thoughts,, doubts you mayist be holding outest with..

[ Edited: 12 February 2011 03:48 PM by tirebiter4659 ]

Posted: 12 February 2011 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  4805
Joined  2007-10-05

Videos are not physical evidence.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 12 February 2011 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

I believe there is probably life on other worlds. It happened once, there is no reason for it to happen again. I don’t believe our species has ever been contacted by life from another world, unless panspermia is proved.
I believe there are UFOs, which stands for Unidentified Flying Object. Which means it could be anything from a mistaken view of the moon, or a lantern. It just means “I don’t have enough knowledge or information to figure it out”, it doesn’t equate with ‘alien spaceship’.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 12 February 2011 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  4805
Joined  2007-10-05

Most UFO sightings turn out to be Venus in the morning sky. And Asanta is right, even if a UFO cannot be explained, we are left with an unidentified object, nothing more.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 13 February 2011 01:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  338
Joined  2011-01-17

Well, I do believe there might be life on other planets, but not necessarily that it’s as advanced as us, let alone so much more advanced. I don’t believe in UFOs coming here to spy on us or anything. I don’t think we’re that interesting.

Signature 

“You can tell me that it’s gospel but I know that it’s only church.”

Tom Waits

“I take a simple view of life. It is keep your eyes open and get on with it.”

Laurence Sterne

Posted: 13 February 2011 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  7570
Joined  2007-03-02

Well, I’d like to believe there is life on other planets in other solar systems, but I don’t know if it is true.  Now my grandfather, who was an Evangelical Fundie, oddly enough believed there had to be because 1.  he didn’t think God would make this the ONLY planet with life and 2.  We have never been any place where their were not people there before us.  That was his thinking.  Take the god bit out and I can see his reasoning quite clearly.  I think it is very possible that there is life in another solar system, but I doubt it will look exactly like us.  It might be, Gene Roddenberry was on to something with races of Cat people, Cowdonians (Cow people), Klingons, Reptilian people, Cardies, Betazoids, etc etc.  Now of course they probably don’t call themselves by those names, but I can very well see that maybe, just maybe, cats or alike became humanoid and apes did not.  I think it might be possible that evolution took a different route concerning the dominate species in other solar systems.

Of course, I will admit that my thoughts involving evolution in other solar systems are very imaginative, but at the same time, there MIGHT be some grain of truth to it, since I’m basing my ideas off what we know of Evolution.  I’m also like Tyson (the scientist) in which the 2% difference gives me cause for concern in that whatever is out there, maybe more advanced, despite being a lot like us.  I’ll have to find that video on YouTube where he said that 2% bothers him, just so I can be more exact on what he is saying.

Here’s the video I was talking about:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-uZZ7RdL5E&

[ Edited: 13 February 2011 08:28 AM by Mriana ]
 Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 13 February 2011 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-01

I’ll be ding-a-linged,,, I thought there’d be more acceptence of UFO existence..

If a video is not physical evidence,, then how is it classified?  Say an ATM machine film is used to identify a thief, what would the film be called,, in court? I live near the San Luis Valley where they get a lot of those strange cattle mutilations, which I accept as evidence also. Now that has to be ‘physical’ albeit hardly conclusive..

It strikes me, though, that there is just so much anecdotal evidence that the UFO stuff is probably true.. Similiarly with the NDE deal… I want to say that most of this ‘evidence’ doesn’t have a ‘motivation’ behind it. I want to use the word ‘unsolicited’ but,,?.. Which, to me, makes that kind of evidence much stronger.

Wouldn’t it be huge for the ateist’s case if a UFO parked in front of congress?

The other biggy is that if you believe UFO’s exist, you are pretty much obligated to believe ‘they’ have figured out a ‘faster than light’ form of travel, because the distances to any as yet ‘unsearched’ places in space are too vast for any other plausible travel speed?

Posted: 13 February 2011 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  7570
Joined  2007-03-02

Yes, but tirebiter, it would take them a very long time to reach us if there is life in other solar systems AND if they did reach our planet, then think about how much further advanced they would be in comparison to us.  That was the point Tyson was trying to make in that video, except there isn’t any conclusive evidence that any people from another solar system have made it this far.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 13 February 2011 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  4239
Joined  2010-08-15
tirebiter4659 - 13 February 2011 11:24 AM

those strange cattle mutilations

Does that stuff actually happen?
If it does, could it be Satanists?  {. . . who couldn’t find it in their hearts to chop up kids?}

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 13 February 2011 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2010-09-10

I believe in the possibility of alien life.
It developed here on Earth, so it’s fairly likely it developed elsewhere.

As for UFO’s…
I believe that there are unidentified flying objects.
That does not carry over to aliens, however.
There are to many ways for our mind to be tricked, and the number of sightings does nothing to improve the chances of them being aliens.

Keep in mind, the blackbird used to be reported as a UFO until it was officially revealed by the government, and they were glad for the extra misdirection.

Posted: 13 February 2011 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2010-09-10
citizenschallenge.pm - 13 February 2011 11:37 AM

those strange cattle mutilations

Does that stuff actually happen?
If it does, could it be Satanists?  {. . . who couldn’t find it in their hearts to chop up kids?}

It happens, a few studies were done and found out it’s usually maggots.
They are very good at removing soft tissues, like udders, sex organs, eyes, or lips.

S’why some doctors now use them to clean out necrotic tissue from wounds.

(Yeah, blech.)

Posted: 13 February 2011 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

I’ll be ding-a-linged,,, I thought there’d be more acceptence of UFO existence..

If a video is not physical evidence,, then how is it classified?  Say an ATM machine film is used to identify a thief, what would the film be called,, in court? I live near the San Luis Valley where they get a lot of those strange cattle mutilations, which I accept as evidence also. Now that has to be ‘physical’ albeit hardly conclusive..

Do you know how easy it is to ‘doctor’ film? For a film from an ATM machine to be accepted as evidence in a court of law, it has to have a clear chain of possession. If it disappeared for a while before showing up in police hands is unlikely to be given as much weight. Why wouldn’t you think ‘cattle mutilations’ were not pranks. It has also been shown that most of them are caused by a combination of animal bite and decomposition. If a scientist can easily replicate it, in similar conditions, why wouldn’t THAT be compelling evidence?

It strikes me, though, that there is just so much anecdotal evidence that the UFO stuff is probably true.. Similiarly with the NDE deal… I want to say that most of this ‘evidence’ doesn’t have a ‘motivation’ behind it. I want to use the word ‘unsolicited’ but,,?.. Which, to me, makes that kind of evidence much stronger.

Anecdote is NOT evidence.

Wouldn’t it be huge for the ateist’s case if a UFO parked in front of congress?

The other biggy is that if you believe UFO’s exist, you are pretty much obligated to believe ‘they’ have figured out a ‘faster than light’ form of travel, because the distances to any as yet ‘unsearched’ places in space are too vast for any other plausible travel speed?

No. Many churches are perfectly willing to incorporate ‘alien’ life into their beliefs. A few years ago, the pope postulated that any aliens found would not have ‘original sin’ because they were not of the earth when ‘Eve fed Adam the apple’. confused

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

1 of 2