12 of 12
Atheistic Dilemma - How do you deal with your mortality?
Posted: 10 September 2011 07:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 166 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2011
Joined  2007-08-09

To get back to the question that began this thread, we only experience life. There is no point worrying about death. I rather like the current Dalai Lama’s attitude on this subject, and that of many Buddhists, though I do not share their belief in reincarnation.

Live in the here and now, eternity’s sunrise. It’s the only place and the only time we can ever live.

Signature 

I cannot in good conscience support CFI under the current leadership. I am here in dissent and in support of a Humanism that honors and respects everyone.

Posted: 31 January 2013 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 167 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2013-01-21

Here is my own take on my death. I find it oddly wonderful that when I’m done and gone all that’s left are the memories others have of me. That’s what drives me to be a good person knowing that fact. I have one shot to get it right and make a positive impression on the world around me. I also maybe weirdly like the fact that when I’m gone it’s like I’ve made way for someone else to have a turn at life. The idea that I will no longer exists doesn’t really frighten me, it’s more of the how that does. Like Woody Allen once said “I’m not afraid to die, I just don’t want to be there when it happens.”

Signature 

“The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.” -Thomas Paine

Posted: 31 January 2013 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 168 ]
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  2007-10-22
Tahu - 31 January 2013 01:28 PM

Here is my own take on my death. I find it oddly wonderful that when I’m done and gone all that’s left are the memories others have of me. That’s what drives me to be a good person knowing that fact. I have one shot to get it right and make a positive impression on the world around me. I also maybe weirdly like the fact that when I’m gone it’s like I’ve made way for someone else to have a turn at life. The idea that I will no longer exists doesn’t really frighten me, it’s more of the how that does. Like Woody Allen once said “I’m not afraid to die, I just don’t want to be there when it happens.”

That is the reality of the situation, we only live on in the memories of others.  Make the world around you a better place to the best of your abilities.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 31 January 2013 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 169 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Honestly, I don’t quite see the dilemma here. When you take a look at what’s on offer with a lot of the afterlives that religions claim to believe in, they look a lot like screaming boredom at best and eternal slavery at worst.

Whether there are gods or a hereafter, I don’t know and I don’t pretend to know, but I think I’ll take a pass on what’s being proposed. It really doesn’t look that hot.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

12 of 12