Playing Games withe Great Old Ones: Fandoms and Religion
Posted: 16 February 2011 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2010-04-07

What is the difference, if any, between traditionally recognized religious groups and pop-culture fandoms? Are Trekkies (or Trekkers) really just Captain Kirk cultists? Would it be more appropriate to refer to “Jesus Freaks” as “Jesus Geeks”? As a Religious Studies Major at the University of North Carolina and a proud member of nerd culture, this is a question that has long fascinated me. When it came time, last spring, to compose an original research paper for my major in order to graduate I decided to explore this topic in-depth. My geek group of choice? Cthulhu Mythos fans.

As it turned out researching, writing and presenting this paper before my department was one of the most challenging but also thrilling experiences ever. It also took me much further than I initially expected it would as my professors were so impressed with my work that they had me submit my paper to the 2010 North Carolina Religious Studies Association; a conference at which the best papers composed by both professors and students from North Carolina universities working in the field of Religious Studies are selected and the presenters invited to share their papers in a public forum. My paper was one of the ones selected and now the video footage shot of it has been uploaded onto YouTube.

If your interested I would greatly appreciate it if you would check out my video and let me know what you think. The video and lecture are titled “Playing Games with the Great Old Ones: Ritual, Play and Joking within the Cthulhu Mythos Fandom” and is in two parts.

Here are the links:

Part One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-7zmGGw9aY

Part Two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1w9ygNXXms

Posted: 16 February 2011 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

You exploited my people!  I demand recompense.

6a00c225264172549d00c2252654a2604a.gif

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 18 February 2011 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1764
Joined  2007-10-22

Folklorist,
Welcome aboard.  I do some reading in your area.  Also have read many of Bart Ehrman books on early Chirstianity, etc.  Looking forward to your posts.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.