CFI Heralds Reason Rally as Dawning of “Secular Spring”
March 21, 2012
Tuesday marked the first day of spring, but for tens of thousands of people a “Secular Spring” begins this Saturday on the National Mall in Washington, DC. The Reason Rally, a celebration of science, reason, and secular values, promises to be a tremendous success, and the Center for Inquiry, a major sponsor of the rally, will be there in full force.
The Reason Rally is a reflection of the unprecedented growth of the secular “reality-based” community over the past decade—thanks in no small part to the work of CFI, its allies, and especially you, our supporters. Humanists, atheists, skeptics, and freethinkers of all kinds are rising up and making themselves heard as never before.
This blossoming of activity and activism—made up of rallies, concerts, lobbying days, conferences, and so much more—is the dawning of what we’re calling a “Secular Spring.” CFI is organizing many of these events, but we’re also co-sponsoring and participating in many other secular events this season. See the end of this message for a sampling of the activities making up this important moment. Reason is rising!
All winter long, our national dialogue has revolved around politicians saying the most unreasonable things while trying to appeal to their most unreasonable constituents. Church-state separation “makes me throw up,” says Rick Santorum. Newt Gingrich warns of “a secular atheist country, potentially one dominated by radical Islamists,” whatever that means.
Fortunately, spring is here—Secular Spring. With an abundance of secular events and activities, reason is rising and we’re taking our place on the national stage.
Secular Spring 2012: Reason Rising
- 2/11 - CFI-Indiana Civic Day: Indianapolis, IN
- 3/1 – Moving Secularism Forward: Orlando, FL
- 3/23 – Lobby Day for Reason: Washington, DC
- 3/24 – Reason Rally: Washington, DC
- 3/30 – Northwest Freethought Alliance Conference: Renton, WA
- 3/31 – Rock Beyond Belief: Fort Bragg, NC
- 4/3 – Secularism on Campus: Pittsburgh, PA
- 4/13 – Global Atheist Convention: Melbourne, Australia
- 5/3 – National Day of Reason
- 5/18 – Imagine No Religion 2 conference: Kamloops, BC, Canada
- 5/18 – Women in Secularism conference: Arlington, VA
- 5/19,20 – Orange County Freethought Alliance Conference, Irvine, CA
* * *
The Center for Inquiry, a nonprofit educational, advocacy, and research organization based in Amherst, New York, is also home to the Council for Secular Humanism and the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry. The mission of the Center for Inquiry is to foster a secular society based on science, reason, freedom of inquiry, and humanist values.