Experience True Courage at Women in Secularism 4 in September
July 13, 2016
What does it mean to be a “woman in secularism”? Many things, but there is one quality that women who stand against the oppressive and diminishing forces of religion and superstition share: courage.
And showing extraordinary courage in the face of truly daunting challenges are the brilliant and accomplished speakers at CFI’s Women in Secularism conference, September 23-25 in Arlington, Virginia. (Early bird discounts on registration are still available!)
Here are just some of the profiles in courage you’ll see at Women in Secularism 4:
- Bonya Rafida Ahmed, who narrowly survived the attack in Bangladesh that claimed the life of her husband, and who has risen to become an undeniable voice for secularism and against religious extremism.
- Maryam Namazie, an international human rights defender who faces threats and demonization from religious radicals, while others attempt to bar her from speaking in public or online.
- Emily Willingham, a scientist and journalist who has dispelled countless myths about sensitive topics such as autism, vaccines, GMOs, and home birth—despite personal attacks and even lawsuits from critics, especially from the anti-vaccine movement.
- Johnetta Elzie, a young civil rights champion and prominent leader in the #BlackLivesMatter movement, who confronts and documents police violence and has been active in the Ferguson and Baltimore protests.
- Soraya Chemaly, a writer and activist who has devoted her considerable talents to battling the abuse to which women are uniquely subjected both online and off.
And that’s just a sample. All of the speakers at Women in Secularism 4 have their own stories of courage to tell. Don’t miss your chance to learn and be inspired by them. Register now.
And hurry! Early bird pricing for registration ends July 31!
The main program starts on September 23 at 1:00 PM and closes September 25 at 12:30 PM. CFI Secular Celebrant training is offered September 22, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM. Additional registration is required for the Saturday banquet and Secular Celebrant training. Visit the Women in Secularism site for more information.
All conference programming takes place at the Hyatt Regency Crystal City. The conference rate is $125 per night for single or double occupancy, $150 per night for triple occupancy, and $175 per night for quadruple occupancy. You can reserve your room through our page on the hotel website.
CFI’s Women in Secularism conferences have been some of the most meaningful and impactful freethought events in years.
Don’t miss Women in Secularism 4!