Value Neutral Technology Question
Posted: 04 May 2013 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1671
Joined  2012-04-25

Completely uncontroversial question about technology, especially for any graphics designers, artists out there.  How do most professional artists work with technology? My son has the makings of being a great artist, but his main medium is simple pencil, pen, and paper. He does fantastic stuff. And I imagine a lot of artists love the non-technology approach. But how does an artist get their pencil and paper stuff into a computer, like what’s the standard process nowadays?  I know there’s scanning, but that seems too inexact, like you can scan something in but it’d be useless to then edit in a graphics program.  Or do artists use some kind of stylus/tablet to start with?  I’m talking serious artists now who do real art, not the silly stuff you see kids doing in TV commercials for Apple ipads. :)

Thoughts?

Posted: 04 May 2013 07:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  6640
Joined  2007-10-05

If you want to create art on a computer a stylus is the way to go. If you want to import art into a page layout program and do simple crops and resizing then scanning is fine. However, fine art collectors want original hand-drawn works, not works created on a computer. This may change in the near future as the rich old farts die off and their progeny take over the world.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 04 May 2013 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

There are obviously many tools available to create your art on a computer, but if you want to convert a drawing from a paper to a vector, you basically have to start all over: scan your original and then trace it. I use Illustrator and a mouse, but there is a number of programs to choose from. Depends what you’re after.