1 of 2
What will replace religions, and the clergy when knowledge and facts become the norm?
Posted: 24 May 2017 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2013-08-29

When the world religions crash,  because new knowledge becomes available through science, facts and young people keep questioning religious teaching?
Personally,  I was brought up catholic and most of my friends are catholic and attend church, but do not want to talk about the gap that is forming between young and old.  It would be nice if there was a go between that churches would come up with to ease the shock.  I find it personally very interesting and informative.  Let’s have a discussion.  Keep negative remarks out of this discussion.  Grand Pa Ray

Posted: 24 May 2017 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4523
Joined  2009-10-21

Hwy grand pa,  how ya been. There are atheist churches, and others along the spectrum. Not very popular though.

Posted: 24 May 2017 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-08-29

It has been a while but am back in town for a few months.  Where do i look for instructions with this system? By the way there is a very good article in the latest National Geographic magazine   Why We Lie

Posted: 24 May 2017 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  553
Joined  2011-09-13
grand pa ray - 24 May 2017 10:09 AM

When the world religions crash,  because new knowledge becomes available through science, facts and young people keep questioning religious teaching?
Personally,  I was brought up catholic and most of my friends are catholic and attend church, but do not want to talk about the gap that is forming between young and old.  It would be nice if there was a go between that churches would come up with to ease the shock.  I find it personally very interesting and informative.  Let’s have a discussion.  Keep negative remarks out of this discussion.  Grand Pa Ray

Could it be that without religion the world may be filled with peace and tranquility?

Posted: 24 May 2017 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  6640
Joined  2007-10-05

You’re assuming knowledge and facts will become the norm. We’ve been getting closer since the Enlightenment, but every step of progress have been met with resistance from churches and people who prefer easy answers over the hard work of figuring out how nature works. We won’t reach the point of knowledge becoming the norm unless our society continues to advance. Considering the problems we face that may not be a valid assumption.

Unfortunately, knowledge has created many of those problems. From global warming to superbugs our technological advances have outpaced our ability to think things through and seek long-term solutions rather than short-term profits and fixes. The only way to overcome this is to educate as many people as possible, and a large percentage of our population in the U.S. does not embrace education. Far too many people make decisions based on fear instead of rational analysis.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 24 May 2017 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

This is what we’re up against.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.

Isaac Asimov

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 24 May 2017 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  4411
Joined  2014-06-20
deros - 24 May 2017 02:27 PM
grand pa ray - 24 May 2017 10:09 AM

Could it be that without religion the world may be filled with peace and tranquility?

Imagine there’s no heaven
It’s easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today… Aha-ah…

Imagine there’s no countries
It isn’t hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion, too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace… You…

You may say I’m a dreamer
But I’m not the only one
I hope someday you’ll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world… You…

You may say I’m a dreamer
But I’m not the only one
I hope someday you’ll join us
And the world will live as one

John Lennon

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 24 May 2017 08:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  614
Joined  2016-10-10
DarronS - 24 May 2017 06:44 PM

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.

Isaac Asimov

America is ahead of the curve as far as anti-intellectualism is concerned.

Really, the whole world outside of northeast Asia, western Europe and most of north America is anti-intellectual.

Posted: 25 May 2017 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-08-29

what information was in my brain before I reached the age of seven.  indoctrination is a technique religions have perfected for a long time and until a person does a self examination in this regard they will always be victims to others beliefs.  Ben Franklin said “We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid”.

Posted: 25 May 2017 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
grand pa ray - 25 May 2017 07:36 AM

Ben Franklin said “We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid”.

Good one, but I know some people who don’t have to work at remaining stupid. They work at remaining ignorant. One of my cousins is a flat earther. Stupid comes naturally to him, but he goes far out of his way to remain ignorant.

Signature 

Posted: 25 May 2017 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  4523
Joined  2009-10-21

what information was in my brain before I reached the age of seven.  indoctrination is a technique religions have perfected for a long time and until a person does a self examination in this regard they will always be victims to others beliefs.  Ben Franklin said “We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid”.

The whole point of indoctrination is to get you to not question. You can’t just walk up to someone and say, “hey, question everything”, and expect to change their minds.

Posted: 29 May 2017 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-08-29
DarronS - 25 May 2017 10:27 AM

Ben Franklin said “We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid”.

Good one, but I know some people who don’t have to work at remaining stupid. They work at remaining ignorant. One of my cousins is a flat earther. Stupid comes naturally to him, but he goes far out of his way to remain ignorant.

going back to my sales training, ‘the customer is always right even if he is wrong” and i must try a new approach.

Posted: 29 May 2017 06:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
grand pa ray - 29 May 2017 06:45 AM

going back to my sales training, ‘the customer is always right even if he is wrong” and i must try a new approach.

Whoever came up with that saying about the customer always being right was an idiot. Some people aren’t worth the trouble they cause as customers.

Signature 

Posted: 29 May 2017 06:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-08-29
Lausten - 25 May 2017 12:27 PM

The whole point of indoctrination is to get you to not question. You can’t just walk up to someone and say, “hey, question everything”, and expect to change their minds.

Who is doing the indoctrination “clergy” their purpose for example St. Ignatius Loyola is said to have made the following statement “give us a child till he is seven, and we will have him for life”.

Posted: 29 May 2017 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-08-29
DarronS - 29 May 2017 06:48 AM
grand pa ray - 29 May 2017 06:45 AM

Whoever came up with that saying about the customer always being right was an idiot. Some people aren’t worth the trouble they cause as customers.

Have you noticed trump, the technique works very well.

Posted: 29 May 2017 06:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-08-29
Beltane - 24 May 2017 08:29 PM
DarronS - 24 May 2017 06:44 PM

Isaac Asimov

America is ahead of the curve as far as anti-intellectualism is concerned.

Really, the whole world outside of northeast Asia, western Europe and most of north America is anti-intellectual.

What can we do about it>  we have to keep going back and starting over and not give up.

1 of 2