2 of 2
Dear Democrat be scarred, be very scarred.
Posted: 19 December 2017 07:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2327
Joined  2016-12-24
Lausten - 18 December 2017 09:07 AM
Citizenschallenge-v.3 - 17 December 2017 06:54 PM

Where do we go from here?

I didn’t see much prescient-ness there, “rural voters attracted to his lack of political correctness”, who didn’t know that? The maps don’t impress me either, most of that red is fields and rocks and otherwise uninhabited. Rural America does not have some insight into how corrupt our political system. Pretty sure it was liberals in cities that first pointed that out.

I think that’s missing the point.

In Hillsboro, Abernathy and I chatted in his office. We agreed that it was the cultural divide, not economics, which primarily created the Trump phenomenon. It’s not that people in Highland County are actually affected by immigration, or terrorism (when was the last attack on U.S. soil in a small town?), or even political correctness run amok. But they voted for Trump largely because of those subjects, and the fears and resentments they engendered.

I BELIEVE THAT A LARGE SWATH OF THE WHITE POPULATION IN HILLSBORO (AND THOUSANDS OF PLACES LIKE IT AROUND THE COUNTRY) SIMPLY BELIEVE THAT AMERICA IS NO LONGER A PLACE THEY RECOGNIZE. AND THEY DON’T LIKE IT.

Many of these people are filled with an underlying fear and resentment of how America has changed, and will continue to evolve in the future. Or perhaps they have nostalgia for the days when America was whiter and straighter, where women knew their place, and where football players didn’t celebrate touchdowns by pounding their chests.

In either case, a huge number of rural whites see the Democratic Party as the embodiment of this “different” country.

Posted: 19 December 2017 07:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Joined  2016-12-24

¶§

Of course, that leads right into the Politics of Resentment.

The Politics of Resentment

RURAL CONSCIOUSNESS IN WISCONSIN AND THE RISE OF SCOTT WALKER
http://www.press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/P/bo22879533.html

Since the election of Scott Walker, Wisconsin has been seen as ground zero for debates about the appropriate role of government in the wake of the Great Recession. In a time of rising inequality, Walker not only survived a bitterly contested recall that brought thousands of protesters to Capitol Square, he was subsequently reelected. How could this happen? How is it that the very people who stand to benefit from strong government services not only vote against the candidates who support those services but are vehemently against the very idea of big government?

With The Politics of Resentment, Katherine J. Cramer uncovers an oft-overlooked piece of the puzzle: rural political consciousness and the resentment of the “liberal elite.” Rural voters are distrustful that politicians will respect the distinct values of their communities and allocate a fair share of resources.  ...

Of course all of this also has to do with our unwillingness (perhaps inability) to engage in constructive dialogue, (take the pea shooter for example)
and fear of intelligent fact based confrontation of the lies being produced by those ever present Masters of the Universe the Koches and Murdochs and their bottomless pit of money and megaphone enough to distort and destroy all attempts at constructive communication.

Posted: 19 December 2017 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  4523
Joined  2009-10-21
Citizenschallenge-v.3 - 19 December 2017 07:50 AM

Of course all of this also has to do with our unwillingness (perhaps inability) to engage in constructive dialogue, (take the pea shooter for example)
and fear of intelligent fact based confrontation of the lies being produced by those ever present Masters of the Universe the Koches and Murdochs and their bottomless pit of money and megaphone enough to distort and destroy all attempts at constructive communication.

I’m missing how your articles support this. I think it is the Kochs and Murdochs who know how distort the truth and de-legitimize knowledge based on facts. That’s why arguing by starting with facts does not work. If you can find the emotional appeal you might get somewhere. I try to shift to a values based discussion, and I often get agreement, but I also often can’t get them accept that we agree. It ends with something like, “well, I agree we need air to breathe, but you libtards are ruining it all”.

I think don’t recognize America, but they don’t want to say that the America they want was a horrible place for most of its inhabitants. Not horrible compared to Russia or the Mid-East, but horrible for people not wanting their ass grabbed at work or to be able to hold hands in public.

[ Edited: 19 December 2017 10:35 AM by Lausten ]

Posted: 19 December 2017 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2016-12-24
Lausten - 19 December 2017 10:32 AM
Citizenschallenge-v.3 - 19 December 2017 07:50 AM

I’m missing how your articles support this. I think it is the Kochs and Murdochs who know how distort the truth and de-legitimize knowledge based on facts. That’s why arguing by starting with facts does not work. If you can find the emotional appeal you might get somewhere. I try to shift to a values based discussion, and I often get agreement, but I also often can’t get them accept that we agree. It ends with something like, “well, I agree we need air to breathe, but you libtards are ruining it all”.

I think don’t recognize America, but they don’t want to say that the America they want was a horrible place for most of its inhabitants. Not horrible compared to Russia or the Mid-East, but horrible for people not wanting their ass grabbed at work or to be able to hold hands in public.

Sorry don’t have the time to really focus on this.  I basically agree with you.

The Koch, Murdoch, things comes in with FOX news and all those phony think tanks
and the constant messaging of lies and fear and outrage and divisiveness, etc that the public has been subjected to going back to Nixon/Reagan operatives and the death of TV’s equal time doctrine and the Corporate oligarch switch in focus to Profits Über Alles and Ayn Rands contempt for Enlightened Self Interest and all that jazz.

Follow my drift?

later.

2 of 2