Death is an Illusion?
Posted: 19 December 2017 10:06 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1058
Joined  2015-12-29

I hear a few philosophies (mostly eastern) refer to death as an illusion, what do they mean by that?

Posted: 20 December 2017 05:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4523
Joined  2009-10-21

What philosophers? Gandalf is the only one that comes to mind. What did they say? What do you think?

Posted: 20 December 2017 05:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2017-12-20
Titanomachina - 19 December 2017 10:06 PM

I hear a few philosophies (mostly eastern) refer to death as an illusion, what do they mean by that?

I think they’re probably just referring to the “immortal spirit.” Nothing to see here really.

Posted: 20 December 2017 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1058
Joined  2015-12-29

I don’t think it’s really spirit but more like questions about the self and the body. I know that “no self” is a common element in eastern philosophy so their view on death is different. Since there is no “you” nothing really does but is more like transmuted (I think). It’s similar to how energy can’t be created or destroyed but transferred from one form to another.

But you wouldn’t really be reborn because once you die that body is not “you” any more.

Posted: 20 December 2017 05:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  614
Joined  2016-10-10

I think death as an illusion is a western misconception of eastern beliefs. All eastern philosophies and religions accept death as the end of the physical body, but they believe in a soul that continues on. Even Hindus and Buddhists believe in a sort of final resting place as the ultimate goal of reincarnation.

Posted: 20 December 2017 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  614
Joined  2016-10-10
Titanomachina - 20 December 2017 10:25 AM

I don’t think it’s really spirit but more like questions about the self and the body. I know that “no self” is a common element in eastern philosophy so their view on death is different. Since there is no “you” nothing really does but is more like transmuted (I think). It’s similar to how energy can’t be created or destroyed but transferred from one form to another.

But you wouldn’t really be reborn because once you die that body is not “you” any more.

Nah, they believe in “spirit” or “soul” that is not very different from the western concept.

No self is a big misconception of Buddhism, especially by western atheists. Buddhists believe that “self” exists but its something to be overcome in order to reach enlightenment.

Posted: 05 January 2018 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2017-11-10

The dinosaurs are just pretending to be dead?