RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2327
Joined  2016-12-24

Talking about car wrecks - welcome to the nightmare on Pennsylvania Avenue

Others involved in effort to pressure Sessions to not recuse
Jim Acosta-Profile-Image
By Jim Acosta, CNN
Sat January 6, 2018
http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/05/politics/reince-priebus-sean-spicer-sessions-recusal/index.html

(CNN)More White House officials were involved in the effort to persuade Attorney General Jeff Sessions to not recuse himself in the Russia investigation beyond counsel Don McGahn, a senior administration official said Friday.

Among those who participated in calls between the White House and Justice Department were former chief of staff Reince Priebus and ex-press secretary Sean Spicer, the senior administration official said.

“I think it’s fair to call it pressure,” the official said about White House conversations with Sessions and his top aides about the matter.

Earlier Friday, Spicer said on Good Morning America that he wasn’t aware of the President’s reported request that McGahn urge Sessions to decide against recusal. ...

The Russia Investigations: Sessions On Edge, Bannon Exiled And Internecine Combat
January 6, 2018   7:00 AM ET
https://www.npr.org/2018/01/06/576057765/the-russia-investigations-sessions-on-edge-bannon-exiled-and-internecine-combat

An explosive New York Times scoop revealed that Sessions tried to smear then-FBI Director James Comey before he was fired. The report, by Michael Schmidt, also said President Trump ordered White House counsel Don McGahn to lean on Sessions not to recuse himself from the Russia probe, and when Sessions did recuse, the president fustigated him. Sessions offered to quit but Trump said no.

So not only is Sessions persona non grata with the president — that’s been the case for months. Now the public and people inside the Justice Department know Sessions was actively trying to undermine his own FBI director, as part of a pattern of conduct directed by Trump — who himself had asked Comey to lay off then-national security adviser Mike Flynn, then fired Comey, etc.

All this could make life very uncomfortable for Sessions inside DOJ and with the FBI. A small but vocal coterie of House Republicans has already been calling for Sessions’ head. (They have no vote but they do keep the anti-Sessions drumbeat going inside the conservative sphere.) .../quote]

Posted: 28 February 2018 10:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Joined  2016-12-24

trump tweet:

“Why is A.G. Jeff Sessions asking the Inspector General to investigate potentially massive FISA abuse,” Trump wrote.
“Will take forever, has no prosecutorial power and already late with reports on Comey etc.
Isn’t the I.G. an Obama guy? Why not use Justice Department lawyers? DISGRACEFUL!”

I’m no lawyer but that sounds crazy.

Guess our pal Jeff thought it was finally enough.
Time to mic another bag of pop corn

Jeff Sessions fires back at Trump after insult
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwt93IoUqAQ
CNN -  Published on Feb 28, 2018
Attorney General Jeff Sessions pushed back against President Donald Trump’s latest insult,
prolonging an increasingly awkward public spat between the President and his top law enforcement official.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions said he will continue to do his job with “integrity and honor” following a tweet from President Trump calling him “disgraceful.”
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/jeff-sessions-fires-back-at-trump-i-will-continue-to-discharge-my-duties-with-integrity-and-honor/article/2650291

“We have initiated the appropriate process that will ensure complaints against this Department will be fully and fairly acted upon if necessary,
“As long as I am the Attorney General, I will continue to discharge my duties with integrity and honor, and this Department will continue to do its work in a fair and impartial manner according to the law and Constitution.”

Posted: 01 March 2018 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1671
Joined  2012-04-25

Like him or not, Sessions has been a pol for many moons. I guarantee he and many other Rethugs privately can’t stand Drumpf because here comes this clown with zero experience, spouting sound bytes they know he could personally care less about. And yet THEY have to report to HIM and bow down to HIM. I feel sorry for the poor dogs when the Rethugs get home every night.

Posted: 01 March 2018 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2016-12-24
CuthbertJ - 01 March 2018 11:14 AM

I feel sorry for the poor dogs when the Rethugs get home every night.

Oh as newly minted dog lover that one hurts,  :lol:

Why am I suddenly thinking, Hope Hicks, and a dog at home feeling some relief.  ;-)

Posted: 02 March 2018 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2016-12-24

Wow, speaking of Hicks, talk about folds within folds of weirdness,

Stories of Hope Hicks’ departure leads to charges of fake news—by a New York Times reporter (Maggie Haberman)

By Mark Sumner
2018/03/01

even bringing up these questions appeared to irritate New York Times reporter Maggie Haberman. In a series of tweets, Haberman launched a series of claims that Hicks’s departure had nothing to do with any of the ongoing turmoil surrounding Trump, or any connection to the Russia investigation. It was simply a personal decision, something where Hicks had decided she had “done all she could” with her position in the White House—an astounding statement considering that Hicks had been in the communications director role for only six months.

Haberman’s insistence that no one else knew what they were talking about culminated in some jaw-dropping hubris when she was, rather gently, chided for dismissing everyone’s concerns. ...

Haberman is a capable, second-generation Times reporter who spent most of her career moving between the Big Apple’s lesser papers before landing at the grey lady just as Donald Trump was launching his campaign. She became known during the campaign for articles that seemed to be much tougher on Hillary Clinton than she was when dealing with Trump, and for a tone that seemed to blur editorializing and reporting. ...
(then the story gets fun)
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/3/1/1745773/-Stories-of-Hope-Hicks-departure-leads-to-charges-of-fake-news-by-a-New-York-Times-reporter