2 of 2
How the Democratic Party of complacency and pettiness is going to lose this november - a case study
Posted: 06 March 2018 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2327
Joined  2016-12-24
Sukhamaya (Sam) Bain - 05 March 2018 08:57 AM

I think the problem is that most Americans do not understand or care about politics.

a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_turnout_in_the_United_States_presidential_elections supports your supposition.

Posted: 07 March 2018 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  4523
Joined  2009-10-21
Citizenschallenge-v.3 - 06 March 2018 09:10 PM
Sukhamaya (Sam) Bain - 05 March 2018 08:57 AM

I think the problem is that most Americans do not understand or care about politics.

a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_turnout_in_the_United_States_presidential_elections supports your supposition.

I looked at that right after Nov 2016. I came up with the theory that Republicans have reached their maximum votes, around about 60 million and will only grow as a percentage of the total population. Whereas Democrats can draw on a much larger pool of disaffected and apathetic voters by coming up with candidates who have something exciting to offer. Obama received 68 million votes for example.

A key factor is the youth vote has been down since Nixon. Politics has been about the “establishment” since then. It’s a meaningless term since it has been applied to Nixon and Clinton. I looked at that again recently and this year will be interesting. It appears youth are finding a voice. They are dealing with social media. It’s now the old man in the White House who tweets idiotic garbage. Their protests are non-violent, and not weird, like Occupy. They don’t mistrust people over 30, they choose mentors. Their demographic is going to dominate for a few decades. Hopefully they will vote more consistently than my Gen X/Baby Boomers did.

Posted: 15 March 2018 07:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2016-12-24

Quote of the day

“You know, I’m really enjoying this radical new Democratic strategy called ‘TRYING.’ “

Samantha Bee reveling in Conor Lamb’s victory in Pennsylvania.

Posted: 03 April 2018 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2016-12-24

Speaking of trying, here we go, a big win this one.

Rebecca Dallet wins 10-year term on Wisconsin Supreme Court
MOLLY BECK
(posted ten minutes ago.  :cheese:  )
http://lacrossetribune.com/news/state-and-regional/rebecca-dallet-wins—year-term-on-wisconsin-supreme-court/article_d0dce381-d08a-567a-9b9d-04516fef8a50.html

Voters on Tuesday overwhelmingly picked Rebecca Dallet to serve on the Wisconsin Supreme Court—
the first time in 23 years a candidate backed by liberals won an open seat on the state’s highest court.

Dallet, a Milwaukee County judge, will serve for the next 10 years and be the sixth female justice on a court with the highest percentage of female justices in the nation.

With 72 percent of votes counted, Dallet’s totals crush Sauk County Judge Michael Screnock’s 55 percent to 44 percent,
prompting state Democrats to celebrate and Republicans to blame Screnock’s loss on not being able to keep up with massive turnout in liberal strongholds like Dane County.

2 of 2