Pruitt: Bible says ‘harvest the natural resources’
Posted: 01 March 2018 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2327
Joined  2016-12-24

“Pastor+Pruitt”+for+his+attempts+to+legislate+fundamentalist+morality+in+Oklahoma..jpg
BY TIMOTHY CAMA - 02/22/18
http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/375148-pruitt-bible-says-harvest-the-natural-resources

Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) head Scott Pruitt said his desire to use the Earth’s resources like oil and coal is grounded in the Bible.

In an interview with the Christian Broadcasting Network published Thursday, Pruitt spoke about how his Christian views inform his views on the environment and environmental policy.

“The biblical world view with respect to these issues is that we have a responsibility to manage and cultivate, harvest the natural resources that we’ve been blessed with to truly bless our fellow mankind,” he told CBN’s David Brody.

Posted: 01 March 2018 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1648
Joined  2010-04-22

Yeah, pretty much right in Genesis, if one extends “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground” to mineral resources.

I think, though, that too often we see people interpret this in their own interests and discard the strong implication of *responsible* dominion in this passage.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 01 March 2018 05:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  7995
Joined  2009-02-26

Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) head Scott Pruitt said his desire to use the Earth’s resources like oil and coal is grounded in the Bible.

That’s just a plain LIE

TromboneAndrew - 01 March 2018 04:32 PM

Yeah, pretty much right in Genesis, if one extends “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground” to mineral resources.

I think, though, that too often we see people interpret this in their own interests and discard the strong implication of *responsible* dominion in this passage.

I reread Genesis and it says nothing about minerals, I see nothing about drilling oil and mining coal in that biblical exerpt. It speaks only of things that live on the surface of the earth (and in water) Perhaps it should have said that the earth itself is not to be touched. 
Now that would be evidence of a forward looking “mind”.

As it stands , we are free to destroy all life as well as the earth itself.  Goodie, goodie for us.

[ Edited: 01 March 2018 06:07 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 02 March 2018 05:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1648
Joined  2010-04-22

Hence why I said “if one extends”.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 02 March 2018 08:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  2327
Joined  2016-12-24

Over at my blog I received what I think is an excellent insightful observation:

1mikerisk said…
As a foreigner, I look with horror on what is happening in the US.

As an atheist, I look with amusement at how the Bible is being manipulated.

There is a critical mis-translation in Ch1, Genesis. We are not given “dominion over” the Earth, we are given “custody of Earth.”

Think Pruitt knows this?

I added the highlight.

This Is What Democracy Looks Like - Breen Land Use Code Community Meeting
https://whatsupwiththatwatts.blogspot.com/2018/03/this-is-what-democracy-looks-like-breen.html

Posted: 02 March 2018 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Citizenschallenge-v.3 - 02 March 2018 08:27 AM

Over at my blog I received what I think is an excellent insightful observation:

1mikerisk said…
As a foreigner, I look with horror on what is happening in the US.

As an atheist, I look with amusement at how the Bible is being manipulated.

There is a critical mis-translation in Ch1, Genesis. We are not given “dominion over” the Earth, we are given “custody of Earth.”

Think Pruitt knows this?

I added the highlight.

This Is What Democracy Looks Like - Breen Land Use Code Community Meeting
https://whatsupwiththatwatts.blogspot.com/2018/03/this-is-what-democracy-looks-like-breen.html

Spot on, IMO.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 03 March 2018 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
TromboneAndrew - 02 March 2018 05:59 AM

Hence why I said “if one extends”.

Well, we can fundamentally “extend” everything.

Signature 

W4U