Veterinarywatch
Posted: 27 November 2007 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15755
Joined  2006-02-14

Are you aware of this website, Brennen?

http://www.veterinarywatch.com/index.html

Apparently the guy who was putting it together died last year. Not sure if anyone has picked up the ball since then.

I noted it cited in a post by Dr. Steven Novella on How Much Modern Medicine is Evidence-Based, in particular a myth that was circulating that it was “as low as 15%” evidence based.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 27 November 2007 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4231
Joined  2006-11-28

Doug,
Thanks for the link. I wasn’t aware of the group. It doesn’t look like there’s been much activity in the last couple of years, but I contacted the folks to see if I can get invoilved! Out of 22 doctors, I’m one of the 2 resident skeptics, and being in california we’ve lots of folks into homeopathy, Chinese Trad. Med., chiropractic, etc. Even one of the doctors here who recommends a psychic!  *sigh* So I’d love to give this project a boost if I can. :-)

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 27 November 2007 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  7843
Joined  2007-03-02

Looks like a very interesting site, esp if they can get up and running again.  It would be cool if you could get involved, Brennen.  Let us know what they say.  :)

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 27 November 2007 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

Yes indeed, Brennen, I’d love to hear what you find out.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 02 January 2008 10:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-01-02

Dr Imrie was a great voice of reason in the world of veterinary medicine. 

I think David Ramey DVM (co-author CAVM Considered) runs the veterinarywatch site although its been underactive lately. 
The ALTVETSKEPT list (join our e-mail list) has occasional interesting discussion.

It would be nice to see more activity with like minded vets. Perhaps this could be an opportunity to re-invigorate a sorely needed service.

Try contacting me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) if you haven’t gotten a hold of anyone. I could touch bases with David R through the list if you haven’t joined it yet.

AJ

Posted: 02 January 2008 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  4231
Joined  2006-11-28

Thanks, AJ. I did try contacting the folks at Veterinarywatch about contributing to re-activating the site but got no response. I’ll be in touch by e-mail.

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 03 January 2008 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

Maybe it’s a semi-defunct site? Might be worth trying different means to contact the admins there and see if it can be re-started.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 04 January 2008 06:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-01-02

Thanks for your interest Brennan.  David Ramey will contact you soon.

Dr Ramey has been swamped and the site has been a bit inactive because of it- but veterinarywatch is alive and well. I think he would appreciate the help as it is a great resource.

I’m going to jump in and help out too- anyone else interested?

AJ