New Guy - Not so New
Posted: 14 November 2009 05:38 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2009-11-11

Greetings to my fellow skeptics and freethinkers.

My name is Frederick Green but you probably can see that by my screen name.  I have been an atheist for as long as I can remember but, to be honest, my general skepticism did not bloom until I was well into my 20s.  There was a time when I explored parapsychology and read books about the Bermuda Triangle but I am feeling much better now, thank you.  I am now well into my 40s with two young and amazing kids - Both in the talented & gifted program (that is the full extent of my bragging, I promise).

I was active in the skeptic and freethough community during the late 90s but drifted away for several years.  Now I am back.  With a background in electronic communications and IT my professional credentials may not match up well against others in the community.  My strength lies in my ability to take a complex subject and explain it in clear, easy to understand terms to my freinds, relatives, and coworkers.  Sadly I find more and more that I must explain to people the very basics of the scientific method - Something which one once had to grasp in order to graduate from high school.

Looking forward to many lively discussions.  I rarely if ever use ‘smileys’ or ‘emoticons’ relying instead on my grand eloquence.  We’ll see how well that goes.

P.S. - Thank you to whomever installed the spelling checker on this forum.

Frederick Green
~A pair of facts beats a full house of myths every time.

Signature 

Frederick Green

Posted: 14 November 2009 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15755
Joined  2006-02-14

Welcome to the CFI Forum, Frederick, glad to have you here. We have several people in various parts of IT who frequent the site, so I think you will find your background is just fine here. Electronic communications sounds very interesting as well.

Cheers,

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 14 November 2009 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Welcome, Frederick. :)  I’m happy that you discarded such things as parapsychology.  %-P Your description of your ability will complement some of our members who have great skill at explaining very simple subjects at great length and in very complex ways. :lol:  I can certainly understand your annoyance with smileys :vampire:  They bother me, too.  Unfortunately, there isn’t one here for wise-ass that I could append to my name. 

Occam

Posted: 14 November 2009 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7716
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam - 14 November 2009 03:49 PM

Welcome, Frederick. :)  I’m happy that you discarded such things as parapsychology.  %-P Your description of your ability will complement some of our members who have great skill at explaining very simple subjects at great length and in very complex ways. :lol:  I can certainly understand your annoyance with smileys :vampire:  They bother me, too.  Unfortunately, there isn’t one here for wise-ass that I could append to my name. 

Occam

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: They are, however, useful for those of us who cannot get our point across in quite so elegant a manner!
Oops, my punctuation suffers when I am sleepy!!

[ Edited: 15 November 2009 11:29 AM by asanta ]
 Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 14 November 2009 11:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  7843
Joined  2007-03-02

Welcome Fredrick.  Glad to have you here.  :)

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 15 November 2009 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2009-11-11

Thanks to all for the warm welcome.  It is apparent that I had better get accustomed to two things.

1.  Seeing lots of smileys.
2.  Getting called out for every not-so-elloquent statement that I make (and there will be many).

Perahps if I had stayed with my parapsychology studies I would have seen this coming.  I recall taking such classes at a community college.  Do accredited universities still offer classes in such nonsense?

Signature 

Frederick Green

Posted: 15 November 2009 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15755
Joined  2006-02-14
Frederick Green - 15 November 2009 08:00 AM

Do accredited universities still offer classes in such nonsense?

Not to my knowledge, although I’m sure there are still some exceptions somewhere!

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 15 November 2009 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

No Frederick, we don’t use too many smileys, but since I’m a wise-ass, I couldn’t help responding as I did.  At this point I could append a laughing smiley, however, in deference to you as a new poster, I shall not.  (But, wait until you’re around for a while, and we can let our hair down.  {another smiling smiley would go here.})

Occam