Caleb from Portland, Oregon
Posted: 14 November 2009 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2009-11-05

Alan—thanks for helping me get on this site!

I was having trouble registering because my e-mail system block the messages from Point of Inquiry and Alan was kind enough to bypass the system for me.

I’m a 60-year-old psychologist and have been very greatly enjoying the shows.  They seem to me to be the best of a variety of thoughts, including those offered by several other superb podcast sites (such as Skeptics Guide to the Universe, Brain Science Podcast, etc.)

I’m a member of the Oregonians for Rationality group here in Oregon but have not done too much with them recently.  I have subscribed to Skeptical Inquirer for 30+ years and really enjoy that magazine.(And one skeptics conference up in Seattle, my daughter took a picture of James Randi.  Randi was then sitting at a table with Carl Sagan and Sagan and Randi laughed because my daughter wanted to take a picture of Randi and not Sagan.)

I used to be militantly atheistic but I’m no longer too militant about it.  I’m still atheistic, however, as well as deterministic, etc.

I certainly like the approach of the logical positivists who have said that there are only two kinds of statements that make sense—those that are tautological (if a equals B. and B. equals C. then A equals C.)and those that offer a testable statement (this apple weighs 8 ounces, give or take 10%).  Too many questions and statements have presuppositions embedded in them that make them impossible to answer. “How many angels are on the head of a pin?”  presupposes there are angels on the head of a pin.  “What is the meaning of life?”  resupposes that there is indeed one meaning of life.  Etc., etc.

Again, I really appreciate Alan getting me on this site and also I very much appreciate the podcasts.

Yours,

Caleb

Posted: 14 November 2009 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15755
Joined  2006-02-14

Welcome to the CFI Forum, Caleb. I wonder what the problem was with your local ISP, how strange. Anyhow, glad you finally made it. Please feel free to dive right in and join the conversations.

Cheers,

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos