Sound of fundamental reality
Posted: 23 June 2010 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2012
Joined  2007-10-28

From this article at the BBC website on God particle signal is simulated as sound

Their aim is to develop a means for physicists at Cern to “listen to the data” and pick out the Higgs particle if and when they finally detect it.

Ears are better than eyes for detecting subtle changes:

The aim is to give physicists at the LHC another way to analyse their data. The sonification team believes that ears are better suited than eyes to pick out the subtle changes that might indicate the detection of a new particle.

Musica universalis:

Archer Endrich believes that it may also enable us to eavesdrop on the harmonious background sound of the Universe.

Something akin to a religious experience:

And Mr Endrich says that those who have been involved in the project have felt something akin to a religious experience while listening to the sounds.

:)

Signature 

I am, therefore I think.

Posted: 23 June 2010 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  3195
Joined  2010-04-26

And Mr Endrich says that those who have been involved in the project have felt something akin to a religious experience while listening to the sounds.

You can also cause people to have a religious experience with drugs or by electrically stimulating certain parts of their brain.

But really, it’s a neat idea.  Though I think some people get way too carried away with the whole “God particle” nickname for the Higg’s boson.

Signature 

“Ah, I love your religion - for the crazy! Virgin birth, water into wine; it’s like Harry Potter, but it causes genocide and bad folk music.” -Roger Smith

Posted: 23 June 2010 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09

oh god massive amounts of pot are needed to keep up with this one

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 23 June 2010 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  2012
Joined  2007-10-28
Dead Monky - 23 June 2010 01:48 PM

But really, it’s a neat idea.  Though I think some people get way too carried away with the whole “God particle” nickname for the Higg’s boson.

Precisely. From the wiki on the Higgs boson

The Higgs boson is often referred to as “the God particle” by the media, after the title of Leon Lederman’s book, The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?. While use of this term may have contributed to increased media interest in particle physics and the Large Hadron Collider, many scientists dislike it as overstating the importance of the particle. In a renaming competition, a jury of physicists chose the name “the champagne bottle boson” as the best popular name.

From the wiki on the book by Leon Lederman

Higgs actually joked that Lederman originally wished to label this particle as “the goddamn particle”.

And what is the question?

Dr. Lederman adds that when dealing with the very beginning of the universe there is no way for experiments and observations to help out. He writes that this is very frustrating. At least the ancient Greek philosophers could count the number of teeth in one horse and debate how many teeth horses have. Today, physicists are stuck with dealing with only one piece of data – “the existence of a universe. This of course brings us to the whimsical title of our book: the universe is the answer, but damned if we know the question.”

:bug:

[ Edited: 23 June 2010 08:42 PM by kkwan ]
 Signature 

I am, therefore I think.