Speakers Announced for CFI’s Student Leadership Conference
May 27, 2010
CFI is pleased to announce the speakers for its summer Leadership Conference June 24-27 in Amherst, NY: Chris Mooney, science writer and bestselling author of The Republican War on Science (and former CFI intern!); Karen Stollznow, author, skeptical investigator, director of the San Francisco Bay Area Skeptics, and prolific blogger; and Robert M. Price, professor of theology and scriptural studies at Coleman Theological Seminary, professor of biblical criticism for the CFI Institute, and author of many books including The Reason Driven Life and Deconstructing Jesus.
Mooney, Stollznow, and Price also host CFI's popular Point of Inquiry podcast.
If you're a CFI student group leader, or if you're a student starting a group on your campus, don't miss this event! Attendees have the opportunity to:
- participate in workshops and presentations on grassroots organizing, campus activism, leadership, political advocacy, media relations, service projects, fundraising, and more
- learn how to have an impact on campus and in the community
- network with dozens of other skeptic, atheist, humanist, and freethought student group leaders
- meet the leaders of the North American Centers for Inquiry
- learn what resources CFI and its affiliates can provide to campus groups
- find out more about local, national, and international student volunteer opportunities
- take part in wide-ranging discussions on communicating science and secular values to other students and to the wider community
Tours of the Center for Inquiry Transnational will be conducted throughout the day on Thursday, June 24. The conference program kicks off officially at 6:00 pm with a reception featuring CFI branch leaders, staff, and the invited speakers. The event wraps up Sunday at lunchtime.
CFI is subsidizing registration costs to help affiliated campus groups send representatives even if they lack the resources to do so. The total cost of registration, housing, and meals for the four-day event (a $200 value!) is only $99 per student. See the registration page for details.
The travel grant deadline has been extended to June 7th. Limited funds are available for grants, so please send in your application as soon as you can to be considered for a grant. Additionally, many colleges and universities provide funds to help student groups send members to training and leadership conferences, so make sure to find out what's available at your school.
Not a student? Support the student movement by helping us provide travel grants to the student leaders who are eager to attend but who cannot afford the full cost of travel.