Campaign for Secular Service
What is the Campaign for Secular Service?
The Campaign for Secular Service is a Center for Inquiry initiative that calls for freethinkers and secularists to provide service to their communities. We will be working with student and community groups, allies, and supporters to ignite a passion for secular service and to share our knowledge of how to organize service projects. We will all work together to pledge service where our efforts are needed.
What are the Goals of this Campaign?
i. Make a positive impact on our communities
ii. Promote secularism and humanist values
iii. Fall 2012: Raise money with Foundation Beyond Belief for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s Light the Night campaign
What is Light the Night?
Good question! Read more here.
What should my group do?
Service Project Ideas:
- Be a Big Bro/Big Sis
- Donate food, winter clothing, school supplies
- Help at a humane society
- Do lawn work for someone who cannot
- Start a community garden
- Beautify an area with art!
- Clean up a park/highway
- Help clean a waterway
- Plant some trees
- Help out at a day camp
- Read to the blind
- Join the bone marrow registry
- Donate your hair for Locks of Love/Cancer Kids/similar
- Hang out with old people
- Help a homeless org or soup kitchen
- Work with a literacy center or ESL program
- Volunteer with a hospice program
- So many more! Check with land conservancies, parks departments, your local secular orgs, and community groups
What are other groups doing?
Good question! Check out info on service projects that were carried out by some of our most active and engaging affiliates:
- Illini Secular Student Alliance: UIUC Giving Tree 2011, Helping Orphans Find a Good Home
- Univeristy of Northern Iowa Freethinkers and Inquirers: 24/7 Service Week 2011
- University of Wisconsin Atheists, Humanists, & Agnostics: AHA Cleans Up State Street, AHA Joins War on Hunger, Update: A Charity Victory
About CFI On Campus
CFI On Campus is the student outreach initiative of the Center for Inquiry, whose mission is to foster a secular society based on science, reason, freedom of inquiry, and humanist values. CFI On Campus helps students promote these values on college and high school campuses around the world.
Did you provide a service?
Tell us about it! We’re tallying service hours to show everyone how hard secular and freethinking groups are working to make their communities better places to live. Please take a minute to fill out this form. Email us if you have any questions, and thank you for all that you do!
Thank you for your participation!