Center for Inquiry endorses Unite Women
April 16, 2012
The Center for Inquiry today officially announced its endorsement of Unite Women, an organization whose mission is to unite people against the recent attacks on women’s rights, in part by orchestrating marches and rallies across the United States on Saturday, April 28.
CFI's endorsement means that we acknowledge the importance of Unite Women's mission, but also that we will lend grassroots-level support to help bring attention to their cause, which overlaps with ours.
As my colleague Dren Asselmeier writes on CFI's Course of Reason blog:
In the coming days, CFI will be working with Unite Women to connect their staff with our established network of supporters and volunteers. Several college campuses will be having rallies that you can attend in order to "loudly denounce the ongoing attacks on women from the extreme right." Click on your state on the main page at UniteWomen.org to see what is happening in your area.
I should add that I will be speaking at the Unite Women rally in New York City. Other speakers include:
- Jasmine Burnett, Raising Voices
- Colia Clark, Candidate for U.S. Senate (Green Party-NY)
- Mona Eltahawy, independent journalist
- Rep. Richard Gottfried, New York State Assembly
- Barbara Grufferman, Huffington Post
- Anne Klaeysen, New York Society for Ethical Culture
- Leighann Lord, comedian
- Rep. Carolyn Maloney, U.S. House of Represenatives (D-NY)
- Lynn Paltrow, National Advocates for Pregnant Women
- Martha Plimpton, actress
- Scott Stringer, Manhattan Borough President
To find out more about that rally, click here. Look for updates as we approach April 28.