The Center for Inquiry’s Office of Public Policy (OPP) works to ensure that public policy is based on reason, science, and secular values in both domestic and international affairs. This includes a wide range of specific issues that we are continuously working on, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Protecting the rights to freedom of religion, belief, and expression;
- Defending reproductive rights and access to reproductive health care;
- Closing loopholes that allow religious groups receiving taxpayer funds to discriminate against employees and beneficiaries on the basis of religion;
- Preventing the growth of school voucher programs that divert taxpayer dollars from the public education system to private and religious schools;
- Gaining equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender persons;
- Informing lawmakers about the scientific consensus on climate change and encouraging appropriate legislative action;
- Promoting comprehensive public school sexual education;
- Educating policy makers on the lack of evidence for alternative medicine;
- Working to expand embryonic stem cell research;
- Legalizing physician assistance in dying for the terminally ill.
You can read about our positions in more detail here.