Secular Parenting Workshop with Dale McGowan
Saturday, April 21, 2012, 1pm -5pm
Friends of the Center $25
Please inform family and friends you think would be interested in this event!
Dale McGowan did a secular parenting workshop in Portland in April 2009. Three years later, our community has grown and there are more secular families involved. Also, this workshop will provide an opportunity for those who were unable to attend the previous one.
From Dale's website (http://parentingbeyondbelief.com/events/):
"Over nine million parents in the U.S. are raising children without theistic religion. The PARENTING BEYOND BELIEF WORKSHOP, a unique half-day event with author and educator Dale McGowan, offers encouragement and practical solutions for secular parenting in a religious world. Based on the freethinking philosophy of the book Newsweek called "a compelling read," the PARENTING BEYOND BELIEF WORKSHOP is empowering secular parents across the country to raise ethical, caring, confident kids without religion.
Participants will learn effective ways to:
- Encourage religious literacy without indoctrination
- Help kids interact productively with a religious world
- Help kids develop active moral reasoning
- Weigh church-state issues in the public sphere
- Address sensitive issues with religious relatives using the principles of nonviolent communication
- Help children develop a healthy understanding of death and a joyful love of life
- Build a family atmosphere of fearless questioning and boundless wonder
...and much more.
Links for Dale's edited books:
- Parenting Beyond Belief: On Raising Ethical, Caring Kids Without Religion
- Raising Freethinkers: A Practical Guide for Parenting Beyond Belief
- Dale's blog, The Meming of Life
- Dale on Twitter
- Parenting Beyond Belief on Facebook
- Belief blog
- Dale's nonprofit, Foundation Beyond Belief
- Parenting Within Reason Podcast
Become a Friend of the Center - You'll not only save money on CFI events, you'll support a cause that reflects your humanist values.