- A Short history of nearly Everything - Bill Bryson
Excellent and entertaining history
scientific findings. A great gift for people who think they hate science; They'll love this book.
- Making of the Fittest - Sean Carroll
Explaining the connection between DNA and evolution.
- Your Inner Fish - Neil Shubin
Explaining some of the vestigial organs and functions that might not make sense in the human body, but do when looked at from an evolutionary perspective.
- Our Inner Ape - Frans De Waal
Good introduction to some behavior of Bonobos and Chimpanzees. Understand the difference between these two animals who diverged evolutionarily not long ago when it's guessed the Congo river split their ancestors' population into two distinct groups.
- Atheist Universe - David Mills
Clear, concise, and persuasive, it details why God is unnecessary to explain the universe and life's diversity, organization, and beauty.
- The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins
A carefully-reasoned yet entertaining treatise on atheism that is equally eloquent and provocative.