When you make a donation to CFI, you are taking action. Your donation makes you a member of a worldwide movement of humanists, skeptics, atheists, and freethinkers, all working together to promote the secular worldview and give voice to your values.
Please use this FAQ as a guide to our new membership information. If this list does not answer your questions, please contact email@example.com or call 716-636-4869, ext. 426 with your requests.
1. Who is a CFI Member?
- Any individual who donates to CFI, including to any CFI program (e.g., the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry and the Council for Secular Humanism), is a member. Membership lasts one year.
- Any individual who subscribes to Free Inquiry, Skeptical Inquirer, Secular Humanist Bulletin, or Skeptical Briefs.
2. Who is a CFI Contributing Member?
Any individual who donates $60 or more to CFI at one time or gives a monthly recurring donation of $5 or more.
- A contributing membership covers all individuals in a single household.
- Only the first donation of $60 or more in a 12 month period goes toward membership.
- Membership lasts one year from the initial donation date.
3. Will recurring donations be counted towards membership?
Yes. Any individual who makes a sustaining gift of at least $5 a month is a contributing member.
4. What do CFI members receive?
All members will receive a membership card, as well as the knowledge that their commitment to the cause of science, reason, free inquiry, and secular values will be represented by CFI at all levels of society and government.
Contributing members also receive:
- Free or discounted admission to events at CFI branches, and discounts on registration for CFI’s national conferences and events.
- A subscription to the new Freethought in Action quarterly newsletter.
- The knowledge that your contribution will make a tangible difference in the work CFI does all around the world.
5. Will new cards be sent to people who donate $60 or more several times in a year?
Members will not receive cards every time they donate. A donor’s first gift of $60 or more prompts a membership card with an expiration date twelve months later. Further donations within a year of the first gift do not change the date of expiration.
6. Does CFI offer student memberships?
Yes! CFI is pleased to offer free student memberships to primary school, secondary school, and undergraduate and graduate students. Student membership comes with all the benefits of a Contributing Membership, lasts for one year, and is available until graduation or upon termination of student status.
7. How will I know when my membership expires?
We will send you a reminder about a month before your membership expires, so that you will not have to worry about your CFI membership lapsing.
We invite you to take action. Make a donation to CFI and become a member today!
Last updated 01/12/15
“Being a CFI member and volunteer allows me to be part of a strong and vibrant local and national community with a powerful mission and a positive strategy.” – Michele Shaw
“I don’t have a lot of money to toss around, but I am so grateful for all that CFI has given me that I made a $1,000 pledge. We need organizations like CFI to fight against religious discrimination and protect the rights of the non-religious.” – Jason Pittman
“I have been shunned from my family since I no longer subscribe to their religious traditions. CFI has provided a community of people who accept me because of my doubt in religion and confidence in scientific proof.” – Jamila Bey
“CFI is unique. Its diverse application of the principles of reason brings together a huge range of important activities ranging from educational talks to political action to international diplomacy. No other organization comes close.” – Leonard Tramiel
Other ways to support CFI
To learn about other ways to support CFI, including pledges, gift annuities, or bequests, visit the Other Ways to Support CFI page, call CFI Development at 800-818-7071, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To make a donation by mail, please send contributions to:
Center for Inquiry
P.O. Box 741
Amherst, NY 14226
With your help, we can continue to work toward a secular society based on science, reason, and secular values. Thank you!